completing 2 year HRR by living in home country while studying in neighboring country?

frank30

Hello,

This is my background:

I came to the US as a Fulbright scholar to complete a MA. I thus had a J1 visa with the two-year home residency requirement.
After I got my MA, I was accepted in a PhD program in the US and got a F1 visa. Since my J1 visa expired, it means that any time spent in my home country (Germany) counts towards the 2-year home residency requirement.

Here is my question:

I am offered an opportunity to complete a year at the University of Basel (Switzerland). Since this university is so close to the German border, I was planning to live in Germany and commute to Switzerland. Would this year of 'residency' in Germany/study in Switzerland count towards my 2 year home residency requirement?

I am aware that this question is very specific and would appreciate any (informed) answer.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
I am from Korea. I was in US on my J1 for 4 years and then left to Canada for work stayed for 2 years in Canada.
Can I enter US again with a valid J1 or H1 if there are sponsors. If yes, Do I need to get a J1 waiver if I have to reenter on a new J1 or H1.