3. I-485
Adjustment of Status petition
4. I-765
Employment Authorization petition
5. I-864
affidavit of support
6. I-693
medical exam
sometimes one is asked to bring it at the time of interview and sometimes one is asked to submit it along with the application.
7. G-325A

I also noticed some people talking about I-468. Do I need to submit that form too? If yes then what's that form for? I am in the US on H-1B and my wife is a US citizen.

Thanks for running through the checklist.
- Walk

wlak run bike,

Here's a copy of the contents page that I attached along with a cover to BCIS for the application for my wife. It didn't cut and paste well...all the little q's were boxes for checkmarks so I could check off as I was assembling the package. And many of tabs were lost, but in general, it reflects what we used and turned out to be a pretty useful document in keeping us organized. Please note that about every application is a little different and your package may require more or less documentation.

Before our marriage, my wife was also here on H1B.

LardBird

Contents

q Fee Checks
q Check #_____ , US$185 for Form I-130
q Check #_____ , US$385 for Form I-485
q Check #_____ , US$165 for Form I-131
q Check #_____ , US$175 for Form I-765

q Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
(Petitioner: Name, Beneficiary: Name)
q Copy of US Birth Certificate for Petitioner Name
q Copy of US Passport for Petitioner Name
q Copy of marriage certificate
q Form G-325A Beneficiary
q Form G-325A for Petitioner
q (1) color photo – Beneficiary
q (1) color photo – Petitioner

q Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
(Sponsor: Name, Beneficiary: Name)
q Letter of Employment – Sponsor
q (3) IRS Form 1040 with matching W-2 for Sponsor

q Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Change Status
(Petitioner: Name)
q Copy of birth certificate – Petitioner
q Translation for Brazilian Birth Certificate – Petitioner
q Copy of Passport page w/ nonimmigrant visa
q (2) color photos – ¾ frontal
q Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status (in sealed envelope)

q I-131, Application for Travel Document
q Copy of Passport identity page
q Copy of INS form for H1B status

q I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
q Copy of I-94 (front and back)
q Copy of last EAD (front and back)

Do I really need to file I-765 if already have H-1B?

Hello everyone,

I just went through that checklist and realized that I didn't file for I-765 and I-131 when I submitted my last AOS documents back in 2/10/2005 to the Chicago District office. I also already did my fingerprint. Now, that I know a little bit more about the process, having read through most of the articles in the forums, I am concerned I may have missed to do some steps. Please advise if I did.

My wife is a USC and I am a Canadian citizen. I did file for AOS by marriage. As of this date USCIS website still claims that my receipt# for my I485 is "taking between 120 and 180 days for us to process this kind of case". I was hoping to get an EAD by only filing all items on the checklist above (except I-785 and I-131) but now I doubt. Do any of you experience the same wait period. Now that 6/10/05 has passed, should I expect an answer from USCIS by 8/10 (which would be the 180th day)? Please let me know what I may have missed in the process.

Also, can I still file for Advance Parole (I-131) to allow to re-enter the US should I travel internationally? How long would it take to be approved?

jovjeune said:
Hello everyone,

I just went through that checklist and realized that I didn't file for I-765 and I-131 when I submitted my last AOS documents back in 2/10/2005 to the Chicago District office. I also already did my fingerprint. Now, that I know a little bit more about the process, having read through most of the articles in the forums, I am concerned I may have missed to do some steps. Please advise if I did.

My wife is a USC and I am a Canadian citizen. I did file for AOS by marriage. As of this date USCIS website still claims that my receipt# for my I485 is "taking between 120 and 180 days for us to process this kind of case". I was hoping to get an EAD by only filing all items on the checklist above (except I-785 and I-131) but now I doubt. Do any of you experience the same wait period. Now that 6/10/05 has passed, should I expect an answer from USCIS by 8/10 (which would be the 180th day)? Please let me know what I may have missed in the process.

Also, can I still file for Advance Parole (I-131) to allow to re-enter the US should I travel internationally? How long would it take to be approved?

you are not gonna get employment authorization by default, you have to file for it.
yes, you can do both of them now, I-785 for EAD and I-131 for advance parol, without advance parol you should not leave the US.
Just send the applications along with your file number, make sure to write the file number (the one starting with A#) on the envelope as well, generally the more times the better :)

I haven't recieved my reciept

Hi everyone
I filed my case with USCIS on May 31st 2005 and I haven't got any reciept from them yet. I don't know when they are going to send me the reciept. do you guys have any idea when they are going to send me the reciept. I filed for adjustment of status based on marriage to US citizen.

Thanks

Questions on filing thru marriage

lardbird said:
wlak run bike,

Here's a copy of the contents page that I attached along with a cover to BCIS for the application for my wife. It didn't cut and paste well...all the little q's were boxes for checkmarks so I could check off as I was assembling the package. And many of tabs were lost, but in general, it reflects what we used and turned out to be a pretty useful document in keeping us organized. Please note that about every application is a little different and your package may require more or less documentation.

Before our marriage, my wife was also here on H1B.

LardBird

Contents

q Fee Checks
q Check #_____ , US$185 for Form I-130
q Check #_____ , US$385 for Form I-485
q Check #_____ , US$165 for Form I-131
q Check #_____ , US$175 for Form I-765

q Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
(Petitioner: Name, Beneficiary: Name)
q Copy of US Birth Certificate for Petitioner Name
q Copy of US Passport for Petitioner Name
q Copy of marriage certificate
q Form G-325A Beneficiary
q (1) color photo – Beneficiary
q (1) color photo – Petitioner

q Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
(Sponsor: Name, Beneficiary: Name)
q Letter of Employment – Sponsor
q (3) IRS Form 1040 with matching W-2 for Sponsor

q Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Change Status
q Copy of birth certificate – Petitioner
q Translation for Brazilian Birth Certificate – Petitioner
q Copy of Passport page w/ nonimmigrant visa
q Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status (in sealed envelope)

q I-131, Application for Travel Document
q Copy of Passport identity page
q Copy of INS form for H1B status

q I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
q Copy of I-94 (front and back)
q Copy of last EAD (front and back)

Wow wonderfully organized and very helpful info. I am preparing to file thru marriage too. Can someone please tell me is I need 2 sets of G-325A for myself(relative of US citizen), like mentioned by lardbird above? One for I-130 and and one for I-485? I was only going to submit one set for each of us. It would be great if someone can help!
Also how do I attach photos to the form? It says not to use staples. And where do the checks go? And does it have to be one check or different checks for each form separately. Please someone answer my dumb questions. :confused:
Thanx