Compensation for lost Pay

achawla

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Need your help in making this big decision.

Both of us (husband and wife) were on unpaid leave of absence for last 2 and half months because of my lawyer's mistake in renewing EAD. Lawyer's assistant never asked for new photos and told me on phone that she had our old photos and there is no need for the new ones. I was not aware of 30 days rule for brand new photos.

Unluckly, we got RFE's when we went to the local office and after that had to lose 2 1/2 months salary just because of my lawer's office. RFE - photos submitted are same as last year.

Do you think I should go ahead and ask for compensation for lost pay period?

achawla said:
Guys,

Need your help in making this big decision.

Both of us (husband and wife) were on unpaid leave of absence for last 2 and half months because of my lawyer's mistake in renewing EAD. Lawyer's assistant never asked for new photos and told me on phone that she had our old photos and there is no need for the new ones. I was not aware of 30 days rule for brand new photos.

Unluckly, we got RFE's when we went to the local office and after that had to lose 2 1/2 months salary just because of my lawer's office. RFE - photos submitted are same as last year.

Do you think I should go ahead and ask for compensation for lost pay period?
The least you should do is to switch to a better attorney soon.
The problems I see in your case .... all of this happened over the phone - so there is really no record of things said.
I always try to communicate with my lawyer over e-mail - so that I can use it as a reference at a later time if needed - maybe you can do that too.
If it comes down to "he said/she said" kind of argument, the law firm might pull it off - after all they are more experienced in making such cases !

Ask them nicely if they can compensate - even partially.
Am not sure you have much to take them through some legal process ....

Again - the best thing to do is to switch attorneys and make sure you warn all of your friends/co-workers etc to stay away from then -- that will hurt them in the long run.

good luck