company threaten revoke the green-card

EAGLE XX

Got approved in Feb. Plastic card received. Talked to employer regarding salary review, had no luck. Told them I will find somewhere else if they don\'t offer a reasonable increment. They threaten will revoke green-card if I leave.
Can anybody tell me is there any kind of law I can refer to? I\'ve heard of 3-6 months or 6-12 months after grean-card will be safe. And according to the new law, I-485 pending applicants can change job after 180 days. How come people got the card can\'t do that? I\'m really sick of working for this consulting firm after years of unfair treatment. Also tired of their threats. Thanks for any comments.

No Title

He can\'t even pluck your hair(sorry for the harsh comment), but I beleive it is appropriate for them. You can go any time.

No Title

You are a free bird !!

Don\'t let your unprofessional company bully you on a silly pretext. They can\'t dare to even think of revoking your greencard. If they still do it, you can file lawsuit and you will definately win the lawsuit. I can\'t believe that you have fallen for their trap.

Check out these link for similiar threats from companys to H1 B workers:
http://www0.mercurycenter.com/business/top/015662.htm

Also, check out http://www.isn.org ---> I485 forum for the following posting:
Boon for H1B Employees who are stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Title

I would say sooner you show them the finger better it is, and if they do not nod, kick their ASS. These SOB do not deserve to make money on ur hardwork. Worse copme worse their are enough laws in this country to help Employee rather then Employers.

No Title

Make them fire you, If you don\'t do your job right. Then they have no other option other than let you go. Its kind of bad but, some times you don\'t have a choice.

Hope this will help you

No Title

well, that is a good option and in addition you may have to wait for 3 months after you got the approval for the safety (this is per INS law) and then show what ever that makes them tick (you know what I mean). Also, since you have sufferred and if U have evidence, post a message on Job newsgroups about these creeps.

Bhanu

No Title

Guys, Thanks a lot for the comments and helpful info. bondedslave, thanks for the link, it\'s very encouraging. Acctually I have the exactly the same contract signed with my company, the only diffrence is the $ amount which is $20,000 in my case. All the other restrictions regarding joining client are the same. As I know, there were some unlucky guys in my company who left without paying the charge had been reported in their credit history. I wish they can see the encouraging news and bring our company on court.
Thanks again.

No Title

Go slap your employer on face. Sue back concerning good lawyer for harassment/mental stress. Take sick vacation, get admitted to hospital
and get letter from doctor saying mental depression because of
employer threats.

No Title

I have asked lawyer the same issure, he said the company can revoke
your i140, then INS most probably will revoke your green card, I
ask if such things really happen, he said yes... so be careful!

No Title

Bhanu,
Which INS law are you referring to? Is it documented somewhere that you have to wait 3 months after getting the residency ?

listmart

No Title

Friends,
Do not get offended.
Agree with bram Lou,
Its better to be in good books with the company which brought us here and
processed the GC. That\'s even if you intend to leave sooner or later.

No Title

psram, Stop BS.
Yes! Better if the company kick you off even before you kick them. Again, No offense meant. Don\'t preach such things. These consulting companies will not wait for you if you are on bench for long ( or if they don\'t need you). But, Can you pose the same threat/problem to any company that they cannot fire you for more than 6 months. Stop this Bullshit. Things should be fair from both sides.]

PSRAM, you give the impression of some bodyshopper. Are you one of them?

No Title

Polish your resume, tell your contacts that you will be available pretty soon. Look for an oppurtunity you like. By the time you are ready it will be time. In the meantime record their blackmail. Example: send an email saying that you like working for them, but don\'t like the GC threats somebody made to you, etc. Then they know that you mean business!

Check wheher you have any contracts with the current employer. Wish you good luck.

No Title

Bondedslave,
Your comment is well taken. Equally frustrated I am, because of this process.
My point was if one wants to leave, why bargain and discuss etc.,
As Myladoor rightly pointed out, lookout for opportunities, one fine day say bye bye.
Don\'t you think its waste of energy to brag and brawl with them, when we can spend
our precious time looking out for better opportunities.

PS: I am no bodyshopper, and dont intend to be one in future.
Good Luck...!

No Title

Yes, according to INS laws, the burden of proving that the GC is obtained on reasonable ground is on GC applicant for the first 3 months and then after the onus is on INS to invalidate the case. The 3 month period may not be a completed by people whose employer do not bother taking action to trouble the GC applicant leaving. That is why it always a good practice to leave employers on a good note no matter what you went through. But if the employer specifically threatens then you might rethink about the 3 month rule. Well, the best option is to force them to fire you and I don\'t think the 3 month rule will have that much effect plus easy to want to get fired... right?