Company is facing budget crisis. Management will lay 15% of the workforce. What to plan ahead?

macboss

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I'm currently under H1B with a non profit organization. Management just told us they will lay off some positions. We don't know who they are yet. I'm just planning ahead for the worst case scenario. I have a few questions:

1) What is the grace period from the date of termination? I think we have 60-90 days notice.
2) Since my H1B is with a non profit org, how long would it take to transfer to a for profit organization vs non profit org? Would I have to apply for the H1B all over again or a simple transfer will do if I am to work for a for profit org?
3) In case I can't find any job, can I switch back to F-1 status to stay here and find a job under the F-1 status?
4) What else should I look out for?

Thank you for your helps,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I'm currently under H1B with a non profit organization. Management just told us they will lay off some positions. We don't know who they are yet. I'm just planning ahead for the worst case scenario. I have a few questions:

1) What is the grace period from the date of termination? I think we have 60-90 days notice. NONE You are out of status immediately
2) Since my H1B is with a non profit org, how long would it take to transfer to a for profit organization vs non profit org? Would I have to apply for the H1B all over again or a simple transfer will do if I am to work for a for profit org? A new employer would need to file under the quota.
3) In case I can't find any job, can I switch back to F-1 status to stay here and find a job under the F-1 status? F-1 is for studying - not job hunting. Don't abuse it.
4) What else should I look out for? Plane tickets home. If laid off, your employer must provide them for you (but not your dependants).

Thank you for your helps,

Play by all of the rules.