Company Acquisition

PissedOffI140

Registered Users (C)
LC approved..

I-140 applied and pending for 10 mths

I-485 applied and pending 7 mths ( concurrent filing ).

At this stage, company gets acquired by another company.

How am I affected ?

Hope this helps.

I have not experienced this first hand but this happened to a friend of mine.

He worked for a software dev company with employee size = 80. The company was acquired by ADSX. This friend of mine was waiting for his 140 approval during the acquisition. He got it approved and is currently waiting for his 485 adjudication. He told me that as long as the location of job, position and the title remains the same, you are not affected.

Hope this helps.

Mergers, Acquisitions, Etc. on Pending I-140s and I-485s

If a company has been acquired, merged or had a significant change in its ownership, the new or reorganized entity is generally considered a successor-in-interest ("Successor") to the originally existing company.

In the immigration law context, the Successor is required to submit documentation evidencing that it has assumed the rights, duties, obligations and assets of the original employer and that it will be liable for the employment of the beneficiary subject to the terms set forth in the labor certification and I-140 Petition. Similarly, a company that changed its name or corporate structure would need to meet these requirements.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Check following -- CSC MEMO (9/07/2001 )

CSC generally follows the INS HQ memorandum of 12/10/1993, except when I-485 has been pending more than 180 days. In other words, when I-485 is pending less than 180 days or I-485 has yet to be filed, the following rules apply:

Simple Name Change and Change of EIN Number: Employer still needs to file I-140 amendment.

Merger of Two Companies: Employer still needs I-140 amendment for employees of the two merged companies.

Acquisition of a Company Taking over All the Interests/Liabilities of the Acquired Company related to Labor Certification and I-140 Petition: The acquiring company still needs to file I-140 amendment.

All in all, it appears that CSC is applying a very rigid rule, requiring I-140 amendment in most cases of corporate restructure unless I-485 has been pending more than 180 days.

This rigid standard does not necessarily apply in other Service Centers. For other Service Centers, people should check with the Service Center of their jurisdiction.

Source: http://www.greencardapply.com/news/news01/0907.htm

Last edited by a moderator: