cleareance certificate

cchong

Registered Users (C)
I just went to the IRS office to try get the cleanrance certificate for my trip to London, it did not go well. I waited hours and I could not wait any longer. I wasted my time today.

Do I really need this clearance certificate before I travel?
I become very frustrated today.

I have travelled to Canada quiet a few times and at the time of Re-Entry no one has ever asked for it, but that is my experience...
I was also contemplating to go request for it for my next visit to Canada next month......

Anyone in this forum has been ever asked for it at the time of re-entry??

I searched the IRS website to find out more info about clearance certificate. It mentions Form 2063 and Form 1040C.

It seems to me those who are a resident alien who is leaving only temporary is required to fill up form 2063 (shorter version).

One document also mentions that "If you try to leave the United States without a sailing or departure permit, and cannot show that you qualify to leave without it, you may be subject to an income tax examination by an IRS employee at the point of departure. You must then complete the necessary income tax returns and statements and, ordinarily, pay any taxes due."

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97256,00.html

Given my terrible experience today at the local IRS office in New York, I think I would not apply one. If at the port of departure the IRS personel ever ask for one then I will submit the form right there.

I work full time, I do not have so much free time to wait there for the whole day to just get the stupid clearance. The front desk person was rude and useless. People asked her questions and she said I am not answering any questions.

Originally posted by cchong
I searched the IRS website to find out more info about clearance certificate. It mentions Form 2063 and Form 1040C.

It seems to me those who are a resident alien who is leaving only temporary is required to fill up form 2063 (shorter version).

One document also mentions that "If you try to leave the United States without a sailing or departure permit, and cannot show that you qualify to leave without it, you may be subject to an income tax examination by an IRS employee at the point of departure. You must then complete the necessary income tax returns and statements and, ordinarily, pay any taxes due."

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97256,00.html

Given my terrible experience today at the local IRS office in New York, I think I would not apply one. If at the port of departure the IRS personel ever ask for one then I will submit the form right there.

I work full time, I do not have so much free time to wait there for the whole day to just get the stupid clearance. The front desk person was rude and useless. People asked her questions and she said I am not answering any questions.

I went to the UK last year and did not get any clearance from the IRS...nor did anybody ask me for it. I personally think that if you pay your taxes in time and have no problems with the IRS, you are OK. I have not heard of any asylee/PR being asked for an IRS clearance on leaving or coming back to the US. All they care about is a valid RTD.

Good luck.
Jameel.