Cleanest way to withdraw N-400 application?

mape

Registered Users (C)
My wife sent her N-400 application (under 5-year rule) a few weeks ago. Her biometrics is this week. For a number of (innocuous) reasons, she is likely to withdraw her application at this time (this decision is *not* based on anything "bad"). We have done research in this forum and elsewhere, and it looks like simply not showing up for biometrics or oath suffices to discontinue the application. We also read that, regardless, it is still advisable to send USCIS a letter stating that the application is being withdrawn. We also read that withdrawing has no negative effect if and when she decides to apply again for citizenship in the future, or renew the physical green card.

Questions:

1) She will likely not go to the biometrics this week. It's too late to send the letter and ensure USCIS receives it before the biometrics. We think it is OK for her simply not go to biometrics (which will discontinue the application anyway) and then send the letter in the next few days (which, again, will most likely be received after the biometrics appointment has passed) for the sake of completeness. Is this OK? Or is it better to just go to the biometrics (we already paid for it anyway) and then send the letter, so that the N-400 is being withdrawn not for failing to show up but instead is being withdrawn with a letter. I think this second alternative is overkill. (Again, we are absolutely not concerned that the fingerprint will raise anything "bad." She is as "clean" as one can be).

2) Where should we send the letter? To the address we sent the N-400 application. Should we attach a copy of the original NOA? Or a copy of the biometrics NOA? Or both? If both, should the letter state that she didn't go to the biometrics?

3) If for some unlikely reason she doesn't withdraw now, can she withdraw (via a letter) before the interview? At the interview? After the interview but before the oath? More generally, is there a "deadline" to withdraw (example, no later than the interview date?).

Thanks.

^^ "it looks like simply not showing up for biometrics or *interview* suffices to discontinue the application."

Since she has started the process (and spent the money), why not go through steps until the oath? If she still does not want to become a US citizen, she can simply not participate in oath. That way she has more time to reconsider while her application is still in process.

Thanks for your reply. She is considering continuing the application. That said, in the even she decides to withdraw it now, should she go to the biometrics this week and then send the letter, or should she simply not go to the biometrics (and send the letter anyway for completeness). Is one way better than the other?

I would suggest to go to the biometrics and keep the application active. So that gives you time to reconsider things. In the event she decides to continue she can do the interview. If not, she can send in a withdrawal letter before the interview.

I would suggest to go to the biometrics and keep the application active. So that gives you time to reconsider things. In the event she decides to continue she can do the interview. If not, she can send in a withdrawal letter before the interview.

Thanks for your reply. I can see why going to the biometrics this week keeps more options open. That said, and besides that, which method is preferred from a purely logistical viewpoint -- which is cleaner? Not showing up and then send letter? Or showing up and then send letter? Does "not showing up and then send letter" ensure the application is closed -- techncally "abandoned *and* withdrawn -- and thus reduce the "risk" of it lingering forward?

Shouldn't matter. Whenever you send in the letter the case will be closed. Whether you showed up for biometrics is irrelevant.

The cleanest way to withdraw is to go through biometrics, then show up at the interview and tell the interviewer you want to withdraw. By talking to the officer who is directly responsible for the case, you'll know for sure it will be promptly and officially withdrawn, whereas a letter could linger for some time without anybody at USCIS taking action on it.

It's not the most convenient way to withdraw, due to the time required to show up for the biometrics and interview, but it is the cleanest in terms of getting it done with assurance that the case will be closed promptly and officially.

The cleanest way to withdraw is to go through biometrics, then show up at the interview and tell the interviewer you want to withdraw. By talking to the officer who is directly responsible for the case, you'll know for sure it will be promptly and officially withdrawn, whereas a letter could linger for some time without anybody at USCIS taking action on it.

It's not the most convenient way to withdraw, due to the time required to show up for the biometrics and interview, but it is the cleanest in terms of getting it done with assurance that the case will be closed promptly and officially.

Thanks. If withdrawing in person at the interview, will the officer ask "why"? The beauty of the letter is that you just need a simple sentence: "I am writing to withdraw my application. Thank you". In person, can you just say "I would like to withdraw my application. [Shake hands] Enjoy the rest of your day, officer."?

Thanks. If withdrawing in person at the interview, will the officer ask "why"? The beauty of the letter is that you just need a simple sentence: "I am writing to withdraw my application. Thank you". In person, can you just say "I would like to withdraw my application. [Shake hands] Enjoy the rest of your day, officer."?

If they ask why, you can just say something generic like "I need more time to consider the implications and responsibilities of being a US citizen, and am not sure that I want to become a US citizen at this time." They won't press any further than that.

If they ask why, you can just say something generic like "I need more time to consider the implications and responsibilities of being a US citizen, and am not sure that I want to become a US citizen at this time." They won't press any further than that.

Thanks. And just to triple check: withdrawing now has no negative implications if and when she wants to apply again (which, depending on circumstances, could be in a year or two), or if she wants to renew the physical green card a few years from now, right?

Correct, the act of withdrawing will not have any negative impact on future applications for citizenship or green card renewal.

But be aware that if any negative information was discovered during the background checks which may have already been initiated for this application, that information can be used against her next time she applies (and if serious enough, it could cause problems even if she doesn't reapply).

Thanks again, Jackolantern et al,

One last question: I now understand the cleanest way to withdraw. That said, and just for informational purposes, for someone who lives in the Washington DC area, if one wants to withdraw via a letter, which address should one use: the Texas address where one sent the original N-400 application, or the Washington DC area local office?

And, if you don't want to have this lingering (i.e. waiting until interview time to withdraw in person), but instead want to withdraw now, isn't it the same to send a letter to the appropriate address and, if one doesn't hear back from USCIS in the form of a letter after, say, 45 days, make an InfoPass appointment and withdraw again in person then? This assumes that getting a letter from USCIS saying "at your request we have closed your case" is as good as withdrawing in person at interview time -- or, in such letter from them is never received, withdrawing in person in an InfoPass appointment is as good as withdrawing in person at interview time. Are these two assumptions incorrect assumptions?

I assume it would be the Texas address.

Most likely you'll get a confirmation that your application has been withdrawn. I had one experience with USCIS where I had to withdraw my greencard renewal application. I sent them a letter and they sent me a confirmation back stating that it has been officially withdrawn.

Hey guys, due to some unforeseen events in my family (death ) I have to go back to my country for to months, right before interview . So I cancel my application by sending a letter to the uscis and they approve it. The question is , everybody here is saying that I can reapply , but the letter says ,quote (the application will be denied without further notice to you and without prejudice to any future application ). So my question is, can I reapply or not ? Thank you everybody !

...everybody here is saying that I can reapply , but the letter says, quote (the application will be denied without further notice to you and without prejudice to any future application ). So my question is, can I reapply or not ? Thank you everybody !

Of course you can reapply... it's stated very clearly as to the current application versus any future one (just have to pay the application fee once again)... in any case, there's always more important things in life sometimes that you don't have much of a choice, so off you go ;)

Of course you can reapply... it's stated very clearly as to the current application versus any future one (just have to pay the application fee once again)... in any case, there's always more important things in life sometimes that you don't have much of a choice, so off you go ;)

So once an application has been withdrawn, any information given (written and verbal) per that application cannot be used against future applications, right?

So once an application has been withdrawn, any information given (written and verbal) per that application cannot be used against future applications, right?

You can be questioned on anything you have ever told any immigration or related official at any stage.
Any misrepresentation to gain an immigration benefit will be disqualifying.

You can be questioned on anything you have ever told any immigration or related official at any stage.
Any misrepresentation to gain an immigration benefit will be disqualifying.

Then the “without prejudice” factor does not work.

Then the “without prejudice” factor does not work.

You misunderstand what that means. It simply means that the mere fact of someone withdrawing their application is not to be seen as a negative the next time that person applies. It doesn't mean you are allowed to get away with lying at an interview.