Claiming unemployment on EAD ??

VIKNJ

Registered Users (C)
Recently someone told me that I can claim unemployment on EAD. I know of 3 cases where the dependents have claimed unemployment benefits on EAD and their GC has been approved. I called up the unemployment office in NJ and got myself registered.

I wanted to know can the principal applicant claim unemployment on EAD and what would the affect on the GC process.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

unemp - benefits

This is a grey area as such and worthy to be answered by Rakesh Khanna. The short answer could be - avoid!

Taking unemployment benefit is considered (but this is debatable) as a 'Public Charge' - meaning a burden on the society . Now, on one hand you are applying for Green Card on the basis of employment, on the other you are unemployed. While, one can definitely argue that GC is a future job, and all the other supporting arguments. The important thing is how INS considers this. While it may not be a major issue at the time of GC approval, it MAY become an issue at the time of applying for the Citizenship.

Also check this discussion:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=37129&highlight=s+corp

Last edited by a moderator:
unemployment benefit for dependent EAD holders

U.I. is private controlled by state office and paid by co. purchased
private insurance. Mr. Khanna needs to clarify on this.