Citizenship - Sponsoring GC for F1 Spouse

stuciti

Hi,

I applied my N-400 late september 2007, and gave FP last week.
My spouse is currently on F1 visa, a full-time student.

I have 3 questions

Do anyone know what is the process of applying GC for my spouse?
When I can file those applications?

I remember some of my friends where asked during their Interview/Oath ceremony if they want to sponsor any one? Does this exlude/include spouse? Is it only for relatives or parents?

thanks in advance

I applied my N-400 late september 2007, and gave FP last week.
My spouse is currently on F1 visa, a full-time student.

I have 3 questions

Do anyone know what is the process of applying GC for my spouse?
When I can file those applications?

You can file a I-130 on his/her behalf now in the F2A category (as a GC holder) and upgrade it to the IR category once you complete your citizenship oath. Be aware however that the F1 visa does not allow immigrant intent and so your spouse could be denied entry into the US if he/she leaves the US and tries to re-enter while the I-130 is pending.

I remember some of my friends where asked during their Interview/Oath ceremony if they want to sponsor any one? Does this exlude/include spouse? Is it only for relatives or parents?

I don't think they ask you if you want to sponsor anyone during the interview/oath. It is a separate process that has to be initiated by filing the I-130.

-KM

Thanks KM.

If I choose to file I-130 after my oath, can I file I-485 and EAD also. Or is it a sequential process?

Thanks KM.

If I choose to file I-130 after my oath, can I file I-485 and EAD also. Or is it a sequential process?

Once you become a USC, you can sponsor immediate relatives (parents, spouses) by filing the I-130, I-485, G-325, I-864 all together, assuming of course that the person has already legally entered the US. If you chose to follow consular processing (for someone outside the US), you just submit the I-130 and wait for it to be approved, then forwarded to NVC for further action.