Citizenship question

windsorguy2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi guyz....I sent in my application for canadian citizenship in feb 2003...so its been about 2-3 months....I here its taking 10-12 months for getting your citizenship........do I have to live in Canada(for the next 10 months) till I get my citizenship test/oath, or can I move to US?

thanks in advance for your help.

You can move back to USA during the waiting process. But be ready for a long waiting period. I have been waiting for my Test date for atleast over six months now. Good Luck

I recently got my canadian citizenship it took 7mths to get, when I applied for it, I left for the US on a HI visa, recently I got the citizenship card and came with that to the US along with my old HIB papers, the officer check the card and HIB and gave me a new I-94 card. It was simple and easy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info melhiw. This is quite helpful. Just a quick question:

After u moved to the US, did u use a canadian address (friend/family) for citizenship related correspondence OR did u provide them with ur new US address? Does it matter?

Originally posted by gc7777
Thanks for the info melhiw. This is quite helpful. Just a quick question:

After u moved to the US, did u use a canadian address (friend/family) for citizenship related correspondence OR did u provide them with ur new US address? Does it matter?

After I moved to the USA I gave a family friends address in canada, you can also use a mailbox etc address and ask them to forward your mail to the USA

To melhiw: I would like to ask when you went to take Oath test, did they ask you to provide any supporting documents, such as medical card, bank card, SSI card, etc.? Thanks! :)

Originally posted by ylc726
To melhiw: I would like to ask when you went to take Oath test, did they ask you to provide any supporting documents, such as medical card, bank card, SSI card, etc.? Thanks! :)

The documents they asked were passport, immigration paper, drivers license or provincial Id.They check your passport to see how many days you were out of the country and whether it matches in your citizenship application.

hi melhiw..how r u..could please give me some info on wat u mentioned in ur earlier message

<<The documents they asked were passport, immigration paper, drivers license or provincial Id.They check your passport to see how many days you were out of the country and whether it matches in your citizenship application.>>

the oat test letter clearly says to bring immigration paper and driverlicse or id(nothing about bringing passport)...Is this passport check random for everyone? to find out how many days they r stayed outside..do they check the citznship application infront of u and then allow for the test???...please five some info that would be really greatful..thanks

Originally posted by mebobby
hi melhiw..how r u..could please give me some info on wat u mentioned in ur earlier message

<<The documents they asked were passport, immigration paper, drivers license or provincial Id.They check your passport to see how many days you were out of the country and whether it matches in your citizenship application.>>

the oat test letter clearly says to bring immigration paper and driverlicse or id(nothing about bringing passport)...Is this passport check random for everyone? to find out how many days they r stayed outside..do they check the citznship application infront of u and then allow for the test???...please five some info that would be really greatful..thanks

Hi
They do check your passport and verify to see the number of days matches with the number of days in your application as to when you were out of the country. In case you were out for more days they make a note of it, in any case they will not disallow you from taking the citizenship test.

guys, lets use clear terms

As I understand the oath taking & citizenship test are two separate processes. The docs mentioned earlier are for the test. Pls confirm, melhiw.
What docs (if any) are reqd for the oath taking process?

Thanks a lot.

Re: guys, lets use clear terms

Originally posted by gc7777
As I understand the oath taking & citizenship test are two separate processes. The docs mentioned earlier are for the test. Pls confirm, melhiw.
What docs (if any) are reqd for the oath taking process?

Thanks a lot.

For oath ceremony they asked for passport and immigration papers

Citiznship ques

hi melhi....thanks for the infor.....i have couple of questions??is it possible if i can email you? pls let me know thanks

Can anybody here tell me How soon you can recieve the receipt for Citizenship application, I mailed in Feb 2003. I have not recieved anything yet...?