Citizenship Question

AJSINGH1

Registered Users (C)
I am a green card holder. When can i apply for citizenship? I got my GC on 02/25/2005.Do i have to wait for the entire 5 years to lapse. I was hoping someone could tell me if i am eligible to apply now or do i have to wait until FEB 25th 2010 to be eligible?? Please help. I was hoping i could file now.

Thank You

If your card says "Permanent resident since: 02/25/2005", then it's best if you send your N-400 application on 12/01/2009.

Open an Excel spreadsheet. In cell A1, type: "02/25/2010".

In cell A2, type:"=A1-90".

You will get 11/27/2009 as the result. Ad 4 days to compensate for possible USCIS bad counting/clerical errors, and you end up with 12/01/2009. This is the date I would file if I were you.

Good luck!

I am a green card holder. When can i apply for citizenship? I got my GC on 02/25/2005.Do i have to wait for the entire 5 years to lapse. I was hoping someone could tell me if i am eligible to apply now or do i have to wait until FEB 25th 2010 to be eligible?? Please help. I was hoping i could file now.

Thank You

You can apply 90 calendar days before 02/25/2010. I'll leave the calculation of the date to you. :)

You are eligible to apply on or after Nov. 27, which is 90 days or less before the 5-year mark.

90 days rule

You can apply 90 days before your 5 year anniversary. In other words somewhere around Nov 28 2009. It is 90 days, no 3 months.
Good Luck!!

Thank You all so very much for the quick reply. I will just mail it on December 1st to play it safe. Once againa thank you for the quick response.

Thank You all so very much for the quick reply. I will just mail it on December 1st to play it safe. Once againa thank you for the quick response.

A recent phenomenon is that many people are getting interviewed between 60-75 days of filing. If you file 85 days before the 5 year anniversary, you run a small risk that you would not have completed 5 years when the interview happens. This will result in a no decision can be made at the interview, and a potential delay of 1-2 months in oath rather than just 5-10 days.

If there is no hurry, apply around 70-75 days before the 5 year anniversary.

I never thought I would see the day in which people recommend to apply 70 or 75 days before the 5 year anniversary instead of 85 or so. This is testament on how fast is USCIS processing applications nowadays. I would just add that the original poster (OP) should check the thread for his local district and see how the processing time is in that office. Not all offices are that fast. Furthermore, in many offices there is no same day oath so it should be safe to apply in the 85 day range, for example San Jose and San Francisco don't have same day oath and it should be pretty safe to apply in the 85 day range.