Citizenship Problem?

anson

Hi All,
I was looking for some advice. My story is thus, I received my permanent resident status in 1994 along with my entire family. I am an indian national. However, at the time we received it, I was already in the US going to school. I made a number of visits to Canada to keep my PR status intact and finally in 2001, I finally applied for citizenship status in Canada as I ultimately would like to settle down in Canada. The complication is that while I was in the US, I married a US citizen and filed for a green card which I received. Well, I received the notice to appear for the Canadian citizenship test and at that time the person who was examining my passport noticed an H1B visa stamp and was curious. The end result is that he told me that I could take the test but would have to meet with a immigration judge. I have now received a notice for a meeting with a judge but they need all sorts of documentation eg. job info, which I don't possess. My question is am I SOL?
1. Should I appear for the interview with the judge? My only case is that my entire family is in Canada and I would like to become a Citizen of Canada.
2. Could this jeopardize my green card in the US?
3. Basically what should I do? The only documents I have are my tax filings.
I am at a loss and would like some helpful advice.
Thanks very much.
Anson:confused:

Complicated Case

You have a US GC and then to maintain that you would have stayed in US , why apply for canadian Citizenship . You probably did not even maintain your PR in canada .

I have no idea what the Judge might decide or has in mind , well you have nothing to lose anyway even if he refuses your citizenship or cancels your canadian PR , you can still visit your family in canada on the basis of US GC .

Bhand,
Thank you for your reply. Indeed it is a complicated case and hence I am really nervous. My main fear is that I don't want to jeopardize my US GC. Is that a possibility? Also, should I go for the interview or is it not worth going for it? I would appreciate any advice.
Anson

Your US GC is safe . It is the canadian status that is in Question . I think you should go meet the judge . He might just give you the citizenship . You have nothing to lose

Hi anson, you wrote "finally in 2001, I finally applied for citizenship status in Canada".

Did u apply for citizenship in 2001?? Please clarify. Also please let us know the timeframes of your citizenship application like date applied intitially, test date, oath date etc.

Yes, I applied for Canadian Citizenship in 2002. I got a letter to take the test in june 2003 and am finally hearing back from an immigration judge.