Citizenship interview question

sunesh369

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Both myself and my wife have interview on the same day at the same time. We have a 1 year old daughter who is already a born US citizen - so she is not a part of this naturalization process. Can we take her to the interview with us? Is that allowed or will they not let her in?
What have other in similar situations done.

Please respond.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Ok to take her

That is fine. This week, I saw as IO called this guy in for the interview from the waiting area, he asked his wife to tag along, but the IO said, "no, only you sir". But if you have small child whoever is going to wait behind, can take care of the child.

That really doesnot answer the question. What if both myself and my wife are called by different officers at the same time? What happens to the baby? Will they let me go to the interview with my baby (who is already a born US citizen)?
People who have either gone through this or who have information or have seen others in this situation - please respond.

Thanks

The baby born U.S. citizen or not is not an issue here.
It is inconvenient to have a baby at the interview.
I have seen the officers let the husband and wife take turns
in a similar scenario, but you can't count on it always, they
might have a tight interview schedule. If at all possible, it is
much easier and comfortable to attend the interview alone
and have a baby sitter/day care provider take care of the baby during that time.

But, if you can't get a sitter, I can't really imagine the USCIS folks not allowing you to do one interview at a time. There's usually someone else in the waiting room waiting to be interviewed, and you can let them go first.

I can imagine the public outcry if USCIS made you leave your baby in the waiting room which you went in for interview.... I'm pretty sure you'd be allowed to take the child in with you.

sunesh369 said:
Folks,

Both myself and my wife have interview on the same day at the same time. We have a 1 year old daughter who is already a born US citizen - so she is not a part of this naturalization process. Can we take her to the interview with us? Is that allowed or will they not let her in?
What have other in similar situations done.

Please respond.
Thanks a lot for your help.
One of our friends has the EXACT same problem. They tried to find a sitter but could not. So they took their child. The child was with the mother while the mothers interview was being conducted. So try to find a sitter otherwise take you child. Be aware that children tend to get cranky after sitting for a long time. You will also have to take diapers, change of clothing, food etc. So it can become a problem if the child needs to get the diaper changed during the interview. So once again, try to find a sitter otherwise you are fine taking your child to the interview.