Citizenship Eligibility Date?

Haasan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my 485 application approved in mid-June 2004. I had my passport stamped (temporary permanent resident with 1 year validity) in end-June 2004.

I received my actual green card in May 2005.

I heard that I will be eligible to apply for citizenship after 4 years and 9 months of GC.

Per the above, which date should I consider to calculate when I would complete my 4 years and 9 months?

Please let me know. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

First off, it's not "4 years 9 months." It's 90 days from the date on your greencard that says "Resident Since." Count back 90 days and that's the earliest you can apply. Be careful with "4 years 9 months" because months can have 31 or 28-29 days, by using "9 months" you run the risk of sending your application too early.

Cheers.

Yes, you need to carefully check the 90 days math because USCIS can and does reject applications signed/received just 1 day early.

I would expect the "resident since" date printed on your GC to match your I-485 approval date unless your case was based on asylum, in which case you get 1yr additional credit.

I am still a little confused about this and would appreciate someone to clarify this for me.

My GC says: Resident Since: 07/25/2004
My case was asylum based.

I just went through my papers and found I-797 (notice of action) which says that my I485 application has been approved, Notice Date: July 25, 2005.

I thought that I was eligible to file N400 5 years from the date shown on my GC (7/25/2004)

So, if it is 4yr & 90 days since the date of "Resident Since: 07/25/2004", that would make me eligible to apply.

Could someone please clarify this. I'd love to apply now, instead of waiting for 07/25/2009

Thanks

Take the date 7/25/2009 and subtract 90 days. That's when you would be able to apply. So that would be sometime in the Spring of next year...

All right, that makes: April 26, 2009

So, this means that if I apply a few days from this day (a couple days just to be safe) my application will not be returned to me.

Thanks again for this clarification.

All right, that makes: April 26, 2009

So, this means that if I apply a few days from this day (a couple days just to be safe) my application will not be returned to me.

Thanks again for this clarification.

Why risk it for a couple of days? Just wait an extra week or two and then send it in.