Citizenship and issues from F-1

pippen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have entered US on F1 and then transferred schools because of health reasons and other issues. Then transferred departments because of financial situation. Just before graduation, Visited Native country. Came back and graduated. Applied for Practical training

My Practical training got denied because school has put incorrect graduation date on the PT application form. Later on I have got it corrected (it took 8 months) as school has provided a corrected letter and provided proof of the correct graduation date with certificate (I think you have to apply within 2 months of graduation but school put earlier graduation date so INS Thought that I graduated and stayed back in the coutry but with correct graduation date I have applied within the 2 month period). I am not sure what my status during this period was. I hired an attorney to get the whole issue resolved and attorney told me that once I have the approval it is okay. So I never bothered about it after that. Got a job after that. (This is during 1996)

Got H1 later on and went to native country and got H1 visa and got married. Came back with spouse and applied for H1 extension and GC through employer. Now ready to apply for citizenship.

Will the issues during my school impact my chances of getting citizenship. No citation of any sort (no traffic tickets and only 1 parking ticket 9 or 10 yrs ago).

TIA for all your suggestions and analysis. I will hire attorney for citizenship as well but just for my curiocity would this be a problem. If they ask anything like question 23, should I mention to them about the practical traning thing. why it got rejected first time and how it was approved again etc.,

thanks
pippen

Last edited by a moderator:
i suggest you to post what the Q23 is all about. most (if not all) readers here do not keep all questions in the n400 form in their mind.

if you tell us what the Q23 is, may be we could help.

sorry it is related to Q23/24 about providing misleading info to government official to gain benefit / lying to goverment to gain admission into us etc.

I haven't done any of these but by mistake the pt thing happened. I got it corrected later on. i don't know if i have to say yes/no and provide explanation. as far as I am concerned i haven't lied or provided incorrect info, it was a mistake. if they ask me i can provide the documents and i will tell yes a mistake happend but got it corrected. my worry is that do i even get a chance to explain if it comes to that.

Also not sure how changing schools and majors would impact. has anyone faced questions related to this. why you have changed schools/majors etc.,