Child of naturalized parents

royal123

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I got naturalized as US citizens recently. I have already applied for my passport as I am visiting India with my 10 year old daughter next month. However I could not apply for my daughter's passport as we are not able to find her original birth certificate. Can she travel on her indian passport? She still has a valid green card. I have tried calling and emailing consulates and passport office but have not received any reply:mad:

Your daughter automatically became a US citizen when you became naturalized US citizens. This fact invalidates her Indian passport and US permanent resident card.

To apply for a US passport, you are required to produce the original birth certificate or a certified copy of the birth certificate along with the child's foreign passport and/or the child's green card.

You can request a birth certificate from your local Indian consulate. Please check the local Indian consulate website for details.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply wivnmgm. From the information I gathered by surfing the internet, what you wrote is right. I went to Indian consulate site and they are asking me to declare the following,
I owe allegiance to the sovereignty and integrity of India
I have not lost, surrendered or been deprived of my citizenship of India.

I thought life after citizenship would be easier !!!!:confused::rolleyes:

BTW, what is the difference between original birth certificate and certified birth certificate?

A "certified copy" is either
a) a replacement of a lost certificate issued by the officer/clerk responsible for issuing or keeping the original
OR
b) A photocopy that has been signed and witnessed as a true copy of the original document by a Notary Public, etc

You can disregard the declaration with the words "allegiance.....", as in this case it is just a formality and it does not apply to you as you will just be signing on behalf of your child to be able to obtain her birth certificate.

Hi Royal123,

what did you do to get the childs passport ? Did notorized of 'copy of original birth certificate' work?

I do have copy of birth certificate of my child. But missing original.