Chicago PP Stamp and SS Change Experience

shsa

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

I reached at the INS office in chicago around 7 a.m today with our courtesy approval copy for stamping, there was no huge line and I walked in straight inside the office. The lady at the counter gave me the ticket and at our turn at around 8:30 am, both me and my wife's passports were stamped and our finger prints were taken.

The immigration officer asked for all the old EAD's and advance parole document which we handed over to her.

Following documents are needed for the Stamping:

1. Courtesy Copy or original
2. Two Photograph
3. I-94 card
4. All old EAD's and Advance Parole (Does'nt matter if you have all of them just hand them whatever you have).

Then we went to the Social Security office to remove the restriction on our SS Card "Valid for work with INS authorization" with the temporary GC stamp on our passport. The lady there took our old SS card and told us that we will receive our card in mail without restriction in 2 weeks or earlier.

All went fine and we were done with the whole process in less than 3 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are accepting both the version of photos till the end of this month. I used the PP style earlier in this month

shsa said:
Hello Friends,

I reached at the INS office in chicago around 7 a.m today with our courtesy approval copy for stamping, there was no huge line and I walked in straight inside the office. The lady at the counter gave me the ticket and at our turn at around 8:30 am, both me and my wife's passports were stamped and our finger prints were taken.

The immigration officer asked for all the old EAD's and advance parole document which we handed over to her.

Following documents are needed for the Stamping:

1. Courtesy Copy or original
2. Two Photograph
3. I-94 card
4. All old EAD's and Advance Parole (Does'nt matter if you have all of them just hand them whatever you have).

Then we went to the Social Security office to remove the restriction on our SS Card "Valid for work with INS authorization" with the temporary GC stamp on our passport. The lady there took our old SS card and told us that we will receive our card in mail without restriction in 2 weeks or earlier.

All went fine and we were done with the whole process in less than 3 hours.
Do we really need to change the SS card? This is the first time to heard that. Thanks.

rayjen said:
Do we really need to change the SS card? This is the first time to heard that. Thanks.

'Yes, you need to chang it'. When I went to the SS office the officer said :D

It is upto you to change the SS card or not but it is better to change because if you have the unrestricted ss card then with the new employment offer, you just need to give the SS card and the ID for the I-9 form.

The SS card office is one block from the INS office on Jackson street.

shsa said:
It is upto you to change the SS card or not but it is better to change because if you have the unrestricted ss card then with the new employment offer, you just need to give the SS card and the ID for the I-9 form.

The SS card office is one block from the INS office on Jackson street.
Can you please tell me what I need to show to the office there?
Thanks.
:)

Just wanted you to know that they would not accept our ADIT style photos when we went to have our passports stamped. We had to have new ones taken. Guess every office has their own rules!

what does this mean?

Hi guys,
On the INS status page I see
"If you were granted permanent resident status or entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa more than 60 days ago and have not received your first permanent resident card, please call 1-800-375-5283" .

Does that mean we should receive the card within 2 months after stamping?

Thanks.

rayjen said:
Hi guys,
On the INS status page I see
"If you were granted permanent resident status or entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa more than 60 days ago and have not received your first permanent resident card, please call 1-800-375-5283" .

Does that mean we should receive the card within 2 months after stamping?

Thanks.

Who knows? If you look here

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=883412#post883412

You will find that most people have waited more that 60 days but ......still waiting...
:D

Welcome to the plastic card waiting club. ;)
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=883412#post883412

Last edited by a moderator:
rayjen,
What I am trying to understand from this is..., Yes.
May be USCIS had a problem in tracking the production and mailing of GC cards.
May be now they would like to complete the job in 60 days...

I do not think anything happens after 60 days. Everyone knows customer service is very bad. Since the code-of-conduct effects, they (Customer Service) do not you the words "shutup do not call us again...", they mean the same but much more softly....

Today we got our SS Card without the words, "Valid for Work with INS Authorization" . Now, personally I don't care how long will it take to get the actual plastic card.

I got what I needed for the job change and stamp on the passport for the travel.

shsa said:
Today we got our SS Card without the words, "Valid for Work with INS Authorization" . Now, personally I don't care how long will it take to get the actual plastic card.

I got what I needed for the job change and stamp on the passport for the travel.

Yes , you are right. But if you have a kid who will go to college, then you will need the 'actual plastic card'.
:D