Changing status to TD

risen

Hello, I am a Canadian citizen currently working on TN status. My TN is valid for 3 years. My wife who is currently in Canada, also Canadian citizen, is planning to join in next 2-3 months. Can she travel on a B1/B2 and apply for a change of status to TD using I-539 form when she is here? I was thinking about this option as her passport is valid for only one more year.

That might be seen as misrepresenting her intentions if she claims to be just visiting when entering. Why can't she just enter on TD and file I-539 for TD Extension of Stay when the I-94 is close to expiring? Or just go to the border to leave and re-enter after she gets a new passport?

That might be seen as misrepresenting her intentions if she claims to be just visiting when entering. Why can't she just enter on TD and file I-539 for TD Extension of Stay when the I-94 is close to expiring? Or just go to the border to leave and re-enter after she gets a new passport?
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that way she could have got TD for 3 years as well, but seems like entering on TD would be a better option.