Changing status to F-1

J1toF1

Appling for a change of Status

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there!

I am in the US in an Aupair Program (J-1). I am in the 1st year of my aupair program which will expire on February 2008. The program can be extended up to 2 years.

However, I wish to apply for a change of status to "F-1" for a full time of study at the local community college and gradually move to a university.
I also have family friends (LPR) who is willing to sponsor me.

My goal is to start from Jaunary of 2008 and I am currently in a process of submitting my paperworks to International Advisor.

Since I am new to all these, there are perhaps many DOs and don'ts that I am not aware of. Any guidence or advice (such as time frame, things to avoid etc) that you could provide is greatly appreciated.

regards,
J12F1

i was in the same situation. the most important thing is to apply for F1 visa while you are still in j1 visa status (or grace period given on j1 visa). you have to be accepted by college and show all the financial documentation (this is the second most important thing). and yes, your j1 visa i believe does not have 2-year home residency requirement so you can change your status here. after you apply for f-1, you can start your classes and work-part time on-campus (only). It will take some two to three months for the change of status to be approved.

Hi,

I believe that you can only work on campus after one year you accomplish some classes. That's why your financial status or bank letter are needed to show you have enough money to stay here without working. I know there are some options for students who become unable to pay tuition due to supporter's death or something.

Well there are so many international students who work off the book though.

Don't use your SSN if you work under the table.