Changing jobs exactly after 6 months

gcexpress

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,
I just thought of having all your valuable input even though I have noticed some heated discussion on changing job after GC approval.
It would be exact 6 months in mid-march since my GC was approved. Would it be a good idea to time my change of job in such a way that I leave my employer just a day or two after 6 month mark. Do you think 6 months should be a safe window to take the risk.
My job has invloved full time travel for last 6 months or so and thats the reason I would like to quit and take up a local contract opening if possible. I am planning to take a contract position if available on 1099.

Let me know your feedback
thx,
gcexpress

Looks like a classic case

I think this dude("gb111") was in La La land for a 2 yrs 8 mos that suddenly made him wake up and post that thread.

gcexpress said:
Hi Folks,
I just thought of having all your valuable input even though I have noticed some heated discussion on changing job after GC approval.
It would be exact 6 months in mid-march since my GC was approved. Would it be a good idea to time my change of job in such a way that I leave my employer just a day or two after 6 month mark. Do you think 6 months should be a safe window to take the risk.
My job has invloved full time travel for last 6 months or so and thats the reason I would like to quit and take up a local contract opening if possible. I am planning to take a contract position if available on 1099.

Let me know your feedback
thx,
gcexpress

here is my conversation w/ my lawyer. i hope it helps

me: "will i have any problem if i stay w/ my sponsoring employer for 1 year?"
lawyer: "one year is more than you need. in general 6 months is good enough"
me: "is there any risk if i change employer in 6 months"
lawyer: "nothing is at no risk. you take risk everyday"
me: "what if i hit a very skeptical officer, and he is not happy with 6 months"
lawyer: "that is very unlikely. but if it happens, move on with your life. you are not gonna die."
me: "how long do you think that i should stay"
lawyer:"in my opinion, 6 months is good enough. but you choose a timeframe which you feel comfortable."

gcexpress said:
I think this dude("gb111") was in La La land for a 2 yrs 8 mos that suddenly made him wake up and post that thread.

Hey!!! You take that back now!!!
What makes you think i have woken up???
As far as i know, i am still very much in La La Land.
Just ask my wife it you don't believe me.

p.s. just in case you didn't get it, it was a joke aimed primarily at the folks fighting incessantly about this magical 6-mnth rule-of-thumb *law*.

pps. the girls are beautiful and the weather is balmy 24/7 in la la land.
i recommend a visit soon (visa required even for GC holders).

Toodles.

Ac121

I understand a person whose I-140 is approved and I-485 is pending for over 6 months is able to change jobs in a similar industry/line. If this is really the case then what is the big deal if some one changes the job 3 months or 6 months after the green card? Am I missing something here?

Guys,

I need the opinion and view all of you my friends.

My 485 application is a future employment case. Let me give little background about it.

My Sponsoring Employer is a small company who does IT consulting. They have about 80 employees right now.

I used to work with them 4 years before as a consultant. After working for about 1 year with them i applied for labour application in May 2001. But after applying the labour application in July 2001 my contract got over.

Then i joined different companies and worked as an employee and consultant. But never through the sponsoring employer. In December 2002 i filed my 485/I-140 application through concurrent process. The sponsoring employer supported for 485/I-140 application. I got my I-140 approved in Feb 2003. Went through 2FP's and 3EAD's as of now.

I have been through interview process recently as you all know. In the interview i have submitted Future Employment supporting letter from the same sponsoring company.

Now iam getting permanent opportunities with other good companies. But as i mentioned except that 2 months initial period i never worked with sponsoring company.

What should i do now? Can i take another opportunities and never join sponsoring employer any more? Will that create problem for my Naturalization?

Or will that be good to immediately work with them now and lets assume i get my GC by March 2005. I still work for them 3-4 months after that also i.e. July 2005. So totally from Feb - July 2005 (around 5+ months) and then leave them and take up Permanent Opportunities.

I am in a dilemma about this issue?

How does this impact my naturalization process?