Changing jobs after GC....

In Line2

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I had read a thread somewhere which said that one had to wait for 6 months after they received their GC to switch to another job.

Is there any legal basis for this or is this just hearsay?

The reason I ask this is because I am so frustrated at my current job that I have recurring dreams of the day when I can go to my managers and tell them ....I QUIT!!!!!!!
SHOVE THIS F****** JOB UP YOUR A**!!!!.

Thanks.

unless u signed something which states that after ur greencard is approved, u have to wait for a specific amount of time that u have to stay with that employer...

besides that, u are free to look for a new job... the only problem right now is the market.... no job in sight!!!

ranniedev

Thanks for your reply.

I was not clear about what you meant when you say "unless you signed something.."

Is this something a letter that you sign with your employer. If so doesn't that constitute some form of bondage and hence be considered illegal????

Thanks.

yes, if you signed a contract with ur employer, if not, ur free as a bird

did u? make sure u check with them just to be sure

You must stay minimum of six months to establish your intent. INS is now audting many cases andhas also asked for cancellation on basis of fraud( 1 year is advised period of time by lawyers though...to be very safe)

Lay off baba is prophet of doom

But still in prevailing circumstances I would still stick around for at least six months with current employer after GC approval. That way you establish an intent to work for the job that you were approved for.
Rememer, all said and done, your GC was processed for your job, and not for your immigrant status! In case you lose your job - thats a different story and as Ranni rightfully says you are a free bird.
As for Prophet Lay off baba (Salallahi Alaihi Wa Sallam) a suggestion from his esteemed companion GC Walla Baba (Razi Allahu Anhu), Lay OFF!

what if

what if the sponsoring company had signed an agreement with the client saying that they would release as soon as Green Card is approved? There is no problem in that case right?

Re: Lay off baba is prophet of doom

Originally posted by GCWallaBaba
...In case you lose your job - thats a different story and as Ranni rightfully says you are a free bird.

Yes, I forgot that phrase... "if you got laid off, then you are free as a bird"... as what had happened to me...

Hi In Line2

There is no rule that you have to wait for 6 months after approval of GC. The rule I know Using AC21, can change your employer after 180 days of filing I-485 why not after approval of GC.

You got u r GC and can change job at anytime if , you not signed any contract with ur current employer.

In Line2

You can leave the employer the day u got passport stamp!
AC21 gave little freedom to the GC sufferers. Of course this is my personal opinion as I have seen many people doing that using AC21, as soon as they get GC.

Guys read the Murthy Bulletin from the week of November 16 please. Attorney Murthy also recommends staying for a while with the employer to establish intent.

I know that in practice nothing happens to most people. But think 4-5 years down the road when you are getting ready for your Citizenship interview. Do you want to let this haunt you all that time. When they ask you how long did you stay with your sponsoring employer, what do you say?

I'd recommend that you stick in there a little longer so that you can enjoy your real freedom in peace.

Murthy's Bulletin - VOL. VIII, no. 46; Nov 15, 2002

Here is the relevant section:

It is not clear at this point. In general, at the naturalization interview, the INS will look at the manner in which the green card was obtained. If the card was obtained via employment, INS will look to see how long the applicant worked for the sponsoring company after the green card was approved. The green card approval is based upon the company's offer of employment and the foreign national's representations that s/he intends to accept that employment for an indefinite period. It is not necessary to work for the sponsor forever. The regulations do not set forth a required time to continue the employment. Rather, the INS will review the matter to determine whether misrepresentations were made in connection with the application, and if the person had the intent of working for the sponsoring company (in this case, Employer B). For this reason, they could inquire into the length of the employment and the reason/s for leaving.

And here is the important part:

Proof of the reason for the departure from the position should be kept to document the case. Such reasons may include lack of work, failure of the employer to pay the offered wage, unbearable working conditions or personal matters such as health or a spouse's transfer.