Changing jobs after 180 days

mygcrequired

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I moved to a different location(Philadelphia) with the same company (I am in consulting) after 180 days of filing my 485(TSC). Now it is almost one year - can I safely change jobs if it is a manager position at a new software company, in a new location? (Old one was Senior Engineer position in a software company). THis means that I will be using portability a second time, Right?
Who is a good/relatively inexpensive lawyer in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/Delaware area?
Thanks

Originally posted by mygcrequired
Hi All,

I moved to a different location(Philadelphia) with the same company (I am in consulting) after 180 days of filing my 485(TSC). Now it is almost one year - can I safely change jobs if it is a manager position at a new software company, in a new location? (Old one was Senior Engineer position in a software company).

--> I am assuming u would be managing similar projects that u used to work on - then u should be fine.. Job duties need to be "similar" so till ur new employer is willing to give u an employment letter with same job duties as your sponsoring employer mentioned in LCA - u should be good.. Make sure u have ur LCA job duties and assigned DOT code

THis means that I will be using portability a second time, Right?

--> Though INS regulation is not clear on AC-21, most opinions I have come across believe it is applied to change of jobs and not change of location within the same firm. So, no - u are using it for the first time.

--> Besides, u have to inform INS only on getting a RFE, so it doesn't matter even if you change multiple jobs between such times.. U should continue in the same job "after" applying for AC-21 by replying to RFE sent by INS.

Who is a good/relatively inexpensive lawyer in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/Delaware area?

--> Friend, u would find multiple people here crying over screwed up cases due to inefficient lawyers.. U are awfully close to getting done with a lengthy and painful GC process - If I were u, i would hire the very best! Besides, AC-21 is relatively inexpensive to file (500 bucks!). Also, the lawyer is not required to be in same area as u though it might help in case u get an interview and want to take lawyer along with..

-- My 2 cents worth.. Goodluck!

-- ab