Changing Job Quickly vs. Citizenship

nonu gaddam

Registered Users (C)
I just got my GC, so this issue is important. I know there have been endless debates about the safety of leaving the employer after GC, and generally 6mths is recommended.

However, my question comes from the N-400 citizenship application. It asks us to record the last 5 years employment history. So does that imply that we could apply for citizenship, say, 6 yrs down the road, and change jobs immediately after the GC, because anything upto 5 yrs before N-400 will not be checked.

I am assuming that the employer (sponsor) does not complain to INS. Please see the N-400 form for yourself and tell me if I missed something.

No Title

With respect to N400 you are right.
However, INS might learn of your employment in other methods.
Examples are:
* You move - you need to file AR11 and say who is your employer.
* You travel abroad and then you enter US and INS officer asks you who do you work for?
* INS audits your new employer and finds out you work there.
* Other methods?

Wait 6 years and apply

I have seen postings on this issue on the www.imminfo.com site (run by Ron Gotcher (attorney)).

Ron advises that applicants in that situation should simply wait for 6 years if there is any doubt. If you have been laid off or have moved on due to changed circumstances, you have nothing to worry about anyway (the www.imminfo.com site has a very good legal analysis on the issue of when it is safe to change jobs.)

Good luck and don\'t worry.

Cheers

CJ

lay off situation

if someone was laid off during the 485 process, and got his GC using AC21 by working in the same field, can he change again immediately after getting the GC approved?

No Title

Good question.
My guess: has to wait.
Did you invoke AC21? If so, which Service center? Any comments you can share with us?

know lots of cases

quite frankly, the chances of INS doing a bust on you for this is the same as that of meeting with a car accident tommorrow...

Correct me if I\'m wrong. Filing N-400 can actually start 4.5yrs after the date of I-485 approval..

so to avoid trouble, wait 5.5 yrs after I-485 approval date, then file.

Alien Number

I got my Green Card today but the Alien number is different from the one in I-485 reciept. They add "0" in front of it and it become a 9-digit number. It was AXX-XXX-XXX, but now is 0xx-xxx-xxx. Is this O.K.? SHould I file a I-90?
Thanks for your HELP!!!

No Title

Mr. JoeF:

Is it the time you are talking to file file N400 or minimum time to be given to change job? I know you can apply after 4 yrs and 9 months since the date you get I485 approval, but the way you have presented this seems you are telling to wait till 4 years 9 months?

No Title

That was what I thought. But now it seems not so.
It seems that no one cares at least at grassroot
level of the government.

how about your labor cert?

how confident is everyone that their LC was based on facts - that all of us had such unique skills that no american had?

No Title

I don\'t know, neither do I know how many NIWers can
benefit the national interests than LCer. But so far
as an individual case is concerned, only technicality
matters - if no one reply to your ad, or the employer
has not found anyone before RIR, then your LC is good.

No Title

Its OK. relax.
It is not octal constant now ;-) (you will understand this if you are proficient with C/C++).