Changing Husband's last Name

pingpong02

Registered Users (C)
Is it legally allowed to change last of Husband to Last name Wife instead of the other way around which is normally done.

You may assume wife is the primary applicant and husband is dependant/derivative.

Are there any risks or disadvantages .

Also many times the kids are asked to give mother's maiden name as security code (for creditcard / bank account etc)

Can the kids give father's maiden name instead ?

Thanks!! in advance

No, I can't bear this anymore with my chauvinistic attitude!!!!

Open your freakin eyes and realize that this is a male dominated world and it should be always the wife who changes her last name which is followed thru centuries.

If something is severely wrong and don't mind others laughing at you'll for this, then go ahead.

B'cos Legally you can do so and nothing will/should stop you from doing that. But your journey will not be very smooth and might end up with some RFE's...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by pingpong02
Is it legally allowed to change last of Husband to Last name Wife instead of the other way around which is normally done.

You may assume wife is the primary applicant and husband is dependant/derivative.

Are there any risks or disadvantages .

Also many times the kids are asked to give mother's maiden name as security code (for creditcard / bank account etc)

Can the kids give father's maiden name instead ?

Thanks!! in advance

Looks like this is one of the banned users trying to stir this forum with his/her ideas !!

Thanks!! Jaic for your resposne

Thanks!! BVRV for your response both from legal and practicality point of view.

roran -- For your clarification I am new user to this forum. registered only two days back. Never posted anything before that.

Originally posted by pingpong02
roran -- For your clarification I am new user to this forum. registered only two days back. Never posted anything before that.

If that is the case, how come you have too many questions in just two days?

Just FYI!

Yes, it is perfectly legal, though non-traditional! I have seen cases where the husband, after marriage, has taken the wife's maiden name and children have followed suit.

And, there have been cases where the wife decided to take an entirely new last name (no connection to family roots whatsoever) and after marriage, the husband took her newly assumed last name as his. The entire family is now known by the new last name.

In one case (in DC I think), after the birth of the child, the parents wanted to put the husband's last name as the middle initial and wife's last name as the last name of the child and the city refused! There was a dispute about this and I don't know how it ended.

Since some suspicions are being raised, I have clarified the matter.

Now it is your prerogative to beleive of not.

Thanks!! jst2mess for your response.

Do you know if the lastname of the Father may be used by the kids instead of Mother's Maiden Name for security puposes ?

Can you also please direct me to the link (If any) where I can find more information on this.

sorry pingpong, I don't know of any resource that I could point you to. If I come across any, I will let you know.

The idea behind mother's maiden name is that it is something that very few would know (since traditionally it is changed soon after marriage). So, by that concept, you could use any "string" as a maiden name (other than probably in immigration documents) for security purposes! In my case, in the beginning I didn't understand what maiden name meant and so I had given my mother's given name wherever they had asked for the maiden name and till date I continue to do so. No one has ever checked what my mother's actual maiden name is.

Just to clarify :

1) You might want to let your husband know that you are changing his last name

2) Nothing legal/illegal about names. There are morons calling themselves "P-Diddy","Eminem" or "Old-Dirty-Bastard". You can choose any name you want for yourself.

3) Mother's maiden name is just a password. You can set your mother's maiden name to "Helen-of-Troy" if you want. Banks do not verify that.

4) Might make life easier on the kids if the wife gets custody

5) just ask your kids if they want to be Ping or to be Pong.

6) Kids are going to choose what they want after they are 18 a-la #1.

pingpong...You have registered only 2 days back? YOu have 137 posts till date? You should definetely deserve GREENCARD for working so hard every day and making your client happy!

Not to mention...In these "Couple of Days" you were also busy analyzing wierd(inportant for you) things in the world like ...all the crap(again, important for you) posted by you. I guess, you should take a day off today, and think about changing the last name of your husband more seriously...