Changing From Sponsoring Employer BEFORE GC is Received. Citizienship Problems?

Obongo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Here's my situation. Do you think it will cause a problem
with my citizenship application? If so, how best to remedy it.

Company filed for an outstanding researcher in March 2001. Gets
approved on July 2001. Adjustment of status filed on July 2001.
Sponsoring employer lays me off Sept 10th, but last date on payroll is
Nov 30th.

New employment starts Jan 11th 2002. I or sponsoring employer attorney's
NEVER write to INS telling them that I am changing employer.
AOS on Jan 13th and GC says I've been a permanent resident
since Jan 20th.

So technically, I never worked for the sponsoring company *after* I
received my GC.

Mr Khanna says in his FAQ that changing jobs under 1 year is a bad
idea, but I got laid of and never worked for them a day after I got my GC.

Regards.

Hi,
If the job in the new employer is very much the same as one at the old employer, you should be fine.
i.e. you were working as a researcher in the old and new, you are fine.

I think, in 2001 they changed the law so that u could change employer as long as you are going to do similar work. I would not worry too much. I left my sponsoring employer 2 months after green card, no question asked at my interview. Sometimes, in this forum, they are people who like to scare people.
Good luck.

bamako said:
I think, in 2001 they changed the law so that u could change employer as long as you are going to do similar work. I would not worry too much. I left my sponsoring employer 2 months after green card, no question asked at my interview. Sometimes, in this forum, they are people who like to scare people.
Good luck.

No one scared me in the forum. Everyone has been quite helpful.
I did continue similar work as a computer scientist that continues
my research. So hopefully everything should be fine.
My better judgement says not to raise the issue at all during the
interview.

If my case gets through it will be a miracle! (see my earlier posts
for other problems).

Hello, once u get ur gc u r free to wk 4 whomever, dosen't matter, u r straight... :) 4 ur interview on citizenship, they will not b asking that ? u r good 2 go :)

I'm a little rusty on GC knowledge, but I think I recall recent law being you could safely change jobs 180 days after filing AOS (prior to receiving GC) providing you continued to be employed in a related field.

With the timing you've given, I think you could have had problems with getting the GC had the original employer bothered to notify INS. Could this be a problem during nat. interview? Maybe, but most likely the IO will roll through your application, ask the usual questions and move on. I think it'll only become a problem if somehow it comes to their attention.