Changing address during N400 process

vishwaskaroo

Registered Users (C)
What happens if one changes his physical address during the N400 process (within the same county)? All the mails that CIS sends will go to the old address since that is what they have on the application form. Is there a way to notify them that the address has changed so they should send all communication like interview date, etc.. to the new address?

Is this strongly discouraged? ie. should one try hard to avoid address change even if it were within the same county?

Hi

We also changed the address during our N400 process and if the move is within the same county , it doesn't effect the processing time. It is recommended that you notify the USCIS about your change of address. You will need to fill out an AR-11 form as well as call an 800 number for each of the applicant. You can get all the info at www.uscis.gov.

vishwas

Changing address delays any application procedure with USCIS. But in ur case the change is within the same county. SO the processing USCIS is still the same. That will not effect u very badly.

But the things u should do immediately is file an AR-11 form and mail them immediately. Since u already submitted ur N-400 with ur old address, u need to tell the 800 number people that u want them to change the address on ur N-400 application specifically. they will ask u, ur receipt number. ( also tell them that u already mailed the AR-11). Lastly, go to the postoffice of ur old address and fill a MAIL DIVERT form to ur new address. So all the mails coming to ur old address will be directed to ur new address(takes effect 14 days after ur fill the mail-divert request).

You will receive a letter from USCIS that " about ur call to 800., etc" that letter will mention all that requested the 800 number officer. Once u receive this letter u can relax. Because u know for sure that they have understood ur problem.

Just expect a 2-3 weeks delay in ur N-400 process.

(I used a PO box number as my mailing address and put my house address as my permanant address). I thought i was going to move to a different county in the same state.

hope this helped. good luck