Change of status from L1B to H1B

skaterboi

Hi

I am on L1B visa right now. I am thinking of applying for a change of status to H1B through another company. I would appreciate it, if I could get some feedback on the following issues:

a.> When does a change of status come into effect? on approval date or on the date i join the H sponsoring company?

b.> Do i need to send my passport to get H visa stamped, even if i am not travelling out of the US?

c.> Is there any advantage of filing a fresh H petition vis a vis a change of status?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi skaterboi,
Did you get answer of your query you posted in Jun-03. If yes, please let me know it.

Thanks for your help

Since nobody else has answered in nearly a year, here goes.

Q1.> When does a change of status come into effect? on approval date or on the date i join the H sponsoring company?

A1. On approval or on the date requested in the petition. For example, if an H-1B petition is filed with a October 1, 2004 requested starting date, and the petition is approved August 15, the status does not change until October 1, 2004. However, if the petition is approved October 15, the status changes upon approval since the requested starting date was prior to the approval date.

Q2.> Do i need to send my passport to get H visa stamped, even if i am not travelling out of the US?

A2. Nope. The I-94 controls your status while in the US. A visa stamp is only required to reenter.

Q3.> Is there any advantage of filing a fresh H petition vis a vis a change of status?

A3. There is one. Without a change of status, you control when you enter H-1B status. To enter H-1B status you would need to leave the US, go to a consulate, obtain an H-1B visas stamp, and reenter the US on an H-1B visa.