change of employer - portability

mt68

Registered Users (C)
I filed for 485 in Aug 2002. A new employer is interested in hiring me in September 2003. By then I will not have received my GC but I hear I can change employers six months after my filing for 485. Is this correct? If I accept the new job, do I have to notify the VSC?
Also, the new job is in a different state from the current one (but both are in the VSC jurisdiction), therefore I will need to move. Will I get a RFE?

Has anybody been in this situation before?

Thanks a lot
mt68

mt68,

According the new law ....it is perfectly OK to leave Ur. current employer and join another job as long as the job profile is the same and the compensation is similar ....some people contend that as long as Ur. new salary is above that mentioned in ur. LC ... U should be fine but to play it real safe ....Ur. new salary should not be not lesser by 10-15 % ...AND ...if need NOT inform INS about the job change ...if they raise an RFE ... U should be able to defend Ur. job change with proper documentation ...

Change of location involves address change and according to the law U are supposed to inform the INS ...but again ....there are people who haven't ..but I think U should consult a lawyer for this matter ...75-100 $ ...and U will get a definitive answer ....

Maxx.