Change of address?

sandwichleg

Registered Users (C)
Hi - I've done a little bit of searching before making a new thread and I was unable to get the answer I wanted. So..

My N400 was sent in mid July and it was received on July 17th. My FP notification letter came on July 27th and I got my FP done today (August 12th).

Now, the problem is:
I'm off to college in two weeks and I have to change my mailing address. I currently reside in Virginia (DC area) and I will be moving to Chicago, Illinois. I have thought about asking my parents to forward me every single letter I receive from USCIS when I'm in college, but we realized that forwarding letter may take a lot of time.

I looked at people's timeline (from DC/VA/MD) and it seems like I may be receiving my IL letter in two weeks. If that is the case, I will be gone.

Is there a way to change my mailing address right now? If so, how?

Thank you so much in advance!

As long as it is legal to use yoru current addresss to stay with your current DO, I suggest you don't do anything but let your parent take care of your
letter.

Just ask your parent to inform you of arrival of the interview letter by phone. You can give them permit ot open the letter and tell you of the interview date or send a fax to you in Chicago to avoid a mistake your parent can make. Then you fly back for the interview. You go to the interview and after that, let your parent takle care of the oath letter and you fly back again for the oath.

Changing your address may cause USCIS to move your case to Chicago office and cause god know how long delay. Of course you meant to let USCIS only change your mailing address but not your permanent address. But USCIS may not be good at handling such exceptions

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep your address at your parent's place, which you are allowed to do as a full-time college student who studies elsewhere. Otherwise if you change to Chicago you'll have a delay to comply with the 3-month district residence requirement.

At this point you really only have two more letters to get from USCIS: the interview letter, and the oath letter. And you might even get the oath letter at the interview itself. But you'll need to be prepared to travel back to VA for the interview and oath, unless you want to switch to Chicago and deal with the delays of doing that.

you'll have a delay to comply with the 3-month district residence requirement.

This 3 month requirement as I remember is for filing N400. If one move after filing N400 how does this 3 month requirement work? 3 month at least before interview or oath?

There was a post here once a guy moved from California to NYC after interview and informed the USCIS his new address in NYC. He got the oath letter sent to his new address in NYC shortly but the oath was still to take place in California. He hesitated not knowing whether to go to CA or asked USICS to reschedule an oath date in NYC, but eventually he figured why bother and so he simply booked am airline and flew to California to take oath and flew back to NYC as a US citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
This 3 month requirement as I remember is for filing N400. If one move after filing N400 how does this 3 month requirement work? 3 month at least before interview or oath?
If you move to a different district/state after filing the N-400, your interview has to be after you've completed 3 months in the new location.

In some cases people get lucky and it doesn't cause a problem -- USCIS processes the address change promptly and you get an interview for a date right after completing the 3 months. But other times, they don't process the address change promptly and properly, and they schedule the interview for the old location. Then they send a deschedule letter once they realize you've moved, or you show up at the interview and they say it has to be rescheduled. And as you know, anytime there is a deschedule/reschedule you could wait for months and months for a new interview date.

Ah, thank you so much for your time! I greatly appreciate it.

But since I'm moving for college (aka my permanent address is still in Virginia), would this three months rule apply to me? I was planning on flying back to Virginia once my interview date is set. And I don't think I'm going to change my mailing address - I'd rather keep things simple ; )

Again, thank you very much!

But since I'm moving for college (aka my permanent address is still in Virginia), would this three months rule apply to me?
If you continue to assert that your residence is in Virginia, it won't apply to you, because you've already lived more than 3 months in Virginia. They allow full-time college students who move to another state for studies to continue to be treated as residents of the old state, as long as their other actions are consistent with that (including keeping a license of the old state, paying out-of-state tuition rates in the new state, and filing taxes as a resident of the old state).

But if you want to say that your residence is in Illinois, and tell USCIS you are now in Illinois, you'll have to complete 3 months in Illinois and deal with any deschedule/reschedule issues resulting from that.

Thank you so much for all your help! I received my interview date (September 30th) and it's going to take place in Virginia.

I called USCIS a few days ago regarding this problem and they said I don't have to worry about anything - just make sure to check my mail on time and be at specific events.