Change of Address (Talked to an Officer)

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys. I called BCIS customer service today to notify them of
my change of address. The officer was very helpful and she took all my info over the phone and said that NSC would be notified about the new address.

I also asked her about the processing times for I-485 at NSC and she told me 23 months. She also said that my case could be delayed since I had a Change Of address.

The question I have is :

1) Does the Change of Address cause significant delays in 485 approval ? I just moved to another apartment about 2 miles away from my previous address

2) Do i need to do anything else also for the Address change (I have already mailed the AR-11 form as well )

Thanks in advance !!

Puneet
RD 10/16/2002
ND 10/31/2002:confused:

Hi,

Did she tell you why the change of address will delay the case ?

I too had a change of address 2 months ago.

Thanks.

Actually. She did not tell me that and I didnt even ask. Because i was not sure of the process which is followed at the time of Change of Address. I assumed that my file would just be sitting someplace for the next 1 year (going by current processing times) :rolleyes: till an officer is assigned to the case.

So I cant understand how this could delay the 485 processing.

shouldn't matter

I don't think change of address should delay the processing of I-485. We moved after filing 485 and i just informed my attorney of the change and he took care of notifying INS. It didn't delay the approval since i got my approval after 12 months from date of filing. Of course there can be other reasons your case can be delayed.. :)

1. I asked my attorney, whether it would be detrimental to I-485 case if we change address - he replied NO.

2. A friend of mine, who applied I-485 just 2 months before mine (her dates were some time late OCt. 2001), did change her address (sole applicant - no dependents), after she applied for EAD renewal. Her application got approved (after 16 months of wait - in Feb. 2003).

So like ShowMeTheGC (BTW ShowMe... r u from MO?) said, that it may not affect the processing adversely - unless there are some other reasons (beyond our comprehension).

StillWaiting...

I do not think so....

Beacause we move to new city after the RFE but is did not effect our approva etal.......

Remember one thing most of the IIO does not know the basics ...

My 2 cents.....

I went to OH DMV to change my DL after view the stamp on PP this very nice and soft spoken lady told me she can issue DL until the 551 date is effective and you can not drive on the other state license .
In the give situation I said OK as I have no other option....
But when they give me actual License it is valid for another 5 yrs....
I was surprised, smiled thanked to the lady and came out ...

I told my 6 yrs old son when he asked why are you smiling
"old systems...... can not take too many while and if loops "

Do not worry it wil not delay the process.....

You know. I dont mind it being delayed as long as they tell us that the case will definitely be approvied in this amount of time. The problem with NSC is that it is any way so slow that delays are not going to matter any more.

Maybe they just have 1 officer working on all our cases !!!!:confused:

Whatever happened...

...to those 50 odd new officers that they had recruited. [This was the news item, some time last August on Murthy - then it was seen on other sites too].

StillWaiting...

One item of note for those filing AR11 forms is that BCIS has been known to screw up the address. I've heard stories (not trying to scare anyone) of them sending correspondence to the individuals old address. It's definitely worth it to call some time after the AR11 was filed (IMO) and ask an IIO what address they have on file. If the new address is still within the NSC (or field office if applicable) jurisdiction, I wouldn't think it would delay an actual adjudication.

rgds,
sadiq

All,

I am also in the same situation. My I-485 is filed from Nebraska Service Center and my Address is in Vermont Service Centre. I have moved to a new address in Vermont Service Centre. I have already informed BCIS by filling AR-11 about this address change.

Should I inform the Nebraska Service Center myself about this change of address or should I get it done through my lawyer? Will it delay my case in any way?

What is the safe option?

Thank You,
Il_labor

My case transferred to Detroit. I live in Seattle, WA

Hi Guys,
Has anyone else been in this situation?
My 485 Application was with INS Nebraska. In Jan 2003 I moved from Detroit to Seattle. I filed AR-11 in Jan. On feb13 I received an RFE for employment. We sent the response by Feb27. On June 3 the case has been transferred to Detroit. I received the notice of transfer on June 10th at my Seattle Address. I dont know what to do.

The Detroit office says, they will not be able to process this case as I live in WA.

Seattle cannot process the case bcos they do not have it.

Can any one let me know what is the best thing to do in this scenario?

In most cases they raise a RFE like employment letter, paystubs w2 etc to see still ur with the same company, this may cause some delay in approval.

Hope this helps,