Change of Address AR-11

syedaus

Registered Users (C)
I need help: I got my green card in 2001 and moved to difference apartment in same State in 2002. I dont remember that I updated my address at that time or not. Now I am planning to apply for filing N-400. Any have any same experience or suggestion regarding the matter. Thanks

AFAIK, filing of AR-11 in timely maner (or not filing it) has no effect on citizenship process. I know people that stayed in US on GC for over 20 years before applying for citizenship and never had sent in AR-11 but had no problems.

When I got my GC in 1996 I explicitly asked the IO who handed me the card "now that I have this is there anything else to do". The 10-year limitation on GCs had just come in (and were causing problems in INS offices) and her response was "no, other than renewing the card every 10 years, there's nothing to do".

When I started preparing my N-400, I realized that I was supposed to have filed an AR-11 back in January 2000. I asked a lawyer what I was supposed to do. Her reply was "The statute doesn't require that you fill out that particular form, it requires that you notify the USCIS about your residence. Filling out an N-400 with an accurate address satisfies the statute as much as filing an AR-11 does. Don't worry about it."

It never came up during my processing.

But would there be any downside in filing the AR-11 now anyway ????

When I came back from overseas in 1999, I retired and forgot to fill out the AR-11 (previously, the company had done it).

After 9/11 the (then) INS/FBI was using lack of AR-11s as reasons for all sorts of severe action against individuals that they perceived to be security threats.

So, I went ahead and filed a few years late. No negative consequences and no impact on my N-400 application, namecheck or interview.

However, Had the question come up (which it did not), I could have replied that I was all up to date on my obligations.

Never a negative impact because of AR-11. Just do it online. You should be fine...it's not a big deal.

I have never filed an AR-11 (I didn't even know about the regulation until I started browsing this board during my N400 application). It never came up and did not affect me negatively in any way.

Seriously...not a big deal :)