Change name on form I-751

Moniquita

My marriage certificate is with my maiden name and my social security and my conditional green card and all other documents are with my maiden name, I didn’t know that I could change my last name on the marriage certificate when I got married and now I need to fill the I-751 form to remove de conditions of residence and I want to have my husband last name on it. Can I call the court where I married and ask them to change my last name so I can take my husband’s last name, and then fill the form I-90 together with the I-751 or have I to wait for remove the conditions of residence and receive my unconditional green card and then fill the form I-90. I don’t know what is the best option at this point.

Last edited:
You have to get a name change done legally.. through the circuit court that you live. Once a judge approves the name change in about a month, the court issues an Final Order of name change. That's when you officially have your new name.

Send a copy of the name change order with the i751 documents. Fill out the application and all documents thereafter with the new name.

You do not fill out the i-90. It's a waste of money.

You have to get a name change done legally.. through the circuit court that you live. Once a judge approves the name change in about a month, the court issues an Final Order of name change. That's when you officially have your new name.

Send a copy of the name change order with the i751 documents. Fill out the application and all documents thereafter with the new name.

You do not fill out the i-90. It's a waste of money.

Thank you, yes I was thinking why do I have to fill and pay $450 for the I-90 form if I am doing my I-751 that I have to paid for it also. Can I requested through the courthouse where I got married? That should be easier because they already gave me a married certificated with my maiden name and now I am asking to give me another with my husband’s name. And I guess after I got my name changed I will fill out form I-751 with my new last name and it should be ok and enough proof for they send my green card with my husband’s last name.

I doubt you can get a name change with the courthouse where you got married. If they do it, great. But somehow I doubt it. If that doesn't work, then go to the court where you live and ask for their name change procedure.

The i751 is a very different (and lengthy) procedure. Check here if you can.

I doubt you can get a name change with the courthouse where you got married. If they do it, great. But somehow I doubt it. If that doesn't work, then go to the court where you live and ask for their name change procedure.

The i751 is a very different (and lengthy)

Thank you so much