change job or stay with current, please help!

greencard22002

Registered Users (C)
I submitted my I-485 a year and half ago, and currently I get a offer. So, I really need some opinion regrading either stay with current job or move to new position. Thanks a lot!

1. If I change to a new employer before I get my green card, Am I required to inform BCIS of this? Do I need to ask the new employer to send a new employment letter to BCIS? Does the job description should be exactly same as in my LC and I-140?

2. If I change job right now, will this affect my green card negatively or it will be ok? Please give me your professional opinion.

3. If I get my green card, can I immidiately change to new job? Will this cause the revoke of the green card? Am I required to stay with the employer who sponsored my green card for certain period of time after I get my green card? I heard rumors from internet that if I don't stay at least 6 months after my green card, I will get trouble either at the time of renew green card, or at the time of citizenship application.

4. Right now, I have the EAD. But if I want to change job, will a new H-1 be more safe than using the EAD?

1. If you change employer, you are "expected" to inform BCIS or it will result in an NOID being issued to you if your original sponsoring employer revokes the underlying I-140. When informing BCIS about the new job under AC21, your new employer has to provide a letter of employment. Also the new job should be in same or similar occupation. It's much better if you read the latest AC21 memo which should answer almost all your queries.

2) It should not harm your GC process, given the latest BCIS guidance for AC21.

3) You heard it right. If you don't work for the sponsoring employer post GC (for 6 months at least), the basis of your getting the GC could be deemed fraudulent & the GC may be canceled if BCIS comes to know about it. If you are really keen to change job, it's better to change it before the I-485 approval & take refuge under AC21. Though idealistically if you don't have any major issues with your current employer than might as well stay with them for a while, why complicate things for you.

4) Having H1B as a backup is always better in the event the I-485 gets denied for whatever reasons. That way you won't be out of status.

titu

Originally posted by greencard22002
I submitted my I-485 a year and half ago, and currently I get a offer. So, I really need some opinion regrading either stay with current job or move to new position. Thanks a lot!

1. If I change to a new employer before I get my green card, Am I required to inform BCIS of this? Do I need to ask the new employer to send a new employment letter to BCIS? Does the job description should be exactly same as in my LC and I-140?

2. If I change job right now, will this affect my green card negatively or it will be ok? Please give me your professional opinion.

3. If I get my green card, can I immidiately change to new job? Will this cause the revoke of the green card? Am I required to stay with the employer who sponsored my green card for certain period of time after I get my green card? I heard rumors from internet that if I don't stay at least 6 months after my green card, I will get trouble either at the time of renew green card, or at the time of citizenship application.

4. Right now, I have the EAD. But if I want to change job, will a new H-1 be more safe than using the EAD?