change job or not? Need comments!

goodfy

Registered Users (C)
My case is EB2 RIR 140/485 concurrent Dec 03. My 140 was approved on 14 March. 485 is still pending. 2nd EAD approved 1/1/05.

Just got an offer and was asked to start next month. I have a couple of stupid questions:

1) If i luckily got 485 approved before move, what to do? I was told that RIR GC is for future work, so I should stay for 6 more months after 485 got approved and AC21 is not applicable anymore. Is that true? can I just leave my current position with my green card?

2) If I do not get 485 before changing job, for 140/485 concurrent filer, does the 180 days count from the 140/485 ND for AC21, or from the date of 140 approval? Can I use AC21 for RIR case?

Any info is highly appreciated!

I am in the same situation.... Did you get a chance to talk to your lawyer???? I left a message for mine and he did not get back to me...

Gurus

Advice please......

Changing employers

Hey guys,

I have a similar case and last week after my interview they approved my case. In my case, my I140 got approved eventhough I am not working for the company that sponsored my application. INS sent out an RFE asking my company to issue a letter saying that they will hire me once INS approved my GC. They did and I140 got approved. Then company filed for I485. I485 application has been pending for over 2 years (Nebraska). Then Dec 2004, they transfered my case to Philadelphia local office. After 2 months, I got an interview notice (March 18). I went to my interview, they asked for my updated employment letter (I gave them my current employment letter since I am working for a different company now), passport, drivers license, pay stub. They approved my case.

Bottom line is, I don't think that you guys need to worry about changing employers. AC21 applies if your I485 Application has been pending for over 180 days. If you change employers and your I140 is current and approved, INS will have no reason to deny your case just because you change employers. Now, if the company that petition your I140 decided not to sponsor you anymore for any reason.....then I485 will definitely get denied. As long as your I140 is current and the status is approved, then you will get your greencard.

This is based on my experience and of course with the explanation of my lawyer. Please consult your lawyer so he can give you legal advise.

I was a worry wart before because I change job and all that....in my interview, the officer didn't even asked why I change my employer nor asked for a letter of employment from the company that sponsored me. I'm sure both of your case will get approved...CHEERS!

miguelerik

miguelerik - CAN YOU ELABORATE A BIT ON THIS?

miguelerik said:
If you change employers and your I140 is current and approved, INS will have no reason to deny your case just because you change employers. Now,

miguelerik

miguelerik,
  1. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the above lines (especially the sentence in BOLD letters)?

Can anyone comment on the above and the following questions, These have been some nagging question in my mind -

What are the issues in changing employers while you are waiting on I485 approval?

What are the steps NECESSARY to change employers while you are waiting on I485 approval?

Is anything needed from the original petitioner of I140 and current I485 petitioner to complete the GC process if one changes a the job while waiting on I485 approval?

What harm if any, the employer who originally petitioned the I40 could cause?

If you change employers and your I140 is current and approved, INS will have no reason to deny your case just because you change employers.

Here is what my lawyer told me, the memorandum for AC21 states that, If I485 application has been pending for over 180 days, the employee will have the ability to change employers (portability) granted that his I140 Application is approved or currently valid. In my case, I moved to another employer even if my I485 application has not passed the 180 days mark. The good thing is, my I485 application has been pending for over 180 days (even after i change employers) and I can now apply AC21 portability.

Below are my answers to your questions:
What are the issues in changing employers while you are waiting on I485 approval?

Answer: One issue that I see is that, if you change employer and they process your application in under 180 days, there is a huge possibility that they will ask for additional documentation from the company that sponsored your application. I.e. sponsorship letter, financial statements of company to prove that they can pay your salary, etc.

What are the steps NECESSARY to change employers while you are waiting on I485 approval?

Answer: My suggestion is that, if you could hold on to your employer who sponsored your application for at least 6 months, then do so. After the 180 days mark, you can move to another employer because you can use AC21 portability. In my case, I didn't have any choice since I got laid off. I was lucky that I485 has been pending for over 180 days and I was able to apply AC21 portability afterwards for my case.

Is anything needed from the original petitioner of I140 and current I485 petitioner to complete the GC process if one changes a the job while waiting on I485 approval?

Answer: It's a case to case basis. If you received an approval notice, they may require you to send a copy of updated employment letter and pay stub. You can bring a letter of employment from the company who originally sponsored you granted that they will give you one. In the letter, they can specify that they have all the intentions of hiring you as soon as you get your green card. You also need to bring letter of employment from your current employer stating your job description, start date, position and salary. Make sure that you are working for the same field (per your approved labor certification). What happened to my case was, at the time of interview, the officer didn't even bother to ask a letter coming from the original petitioner. He only asked for the current employment letter and pay stub.

What harm if any, the employer who originally petitioned the I40 could cause?

Answer: They can cause a lot. First, if say you decided to leave the company that petitioned you and they don't want you to leave but you insist on leaving...they can always cancel your I140 application. No matter what you do once your I140 get cancelled or denied, your I485 will be denied as well I think. In my case, I got laid off. The company who petitioned me is kind enough to continue sponsoring my GC because they have all the intentions of hiring me in the future once the economy gets better and they opened up a position for me.

Hope this helps.

All info that I have shared are not totally accurate. It is solely based on my experience. Please consult an attorney so you can get better answers and legally.

Thanks!

miguelerik