Career Bridge: Internship initiative for new immigrants

Rashmi Gupta

Registered Users (C)
For the permanent residents in Ontario (especially GTA), there is a new initiative to help new immigrants (arrived in last 3 years as of Oct.2003, no degree from Canada and haven't worked in their field of expertise- survival jobs don't count, fluent in English) named Career Bridge. The programs aims to help new immigrants find internships in their fields (pays peanuts of course!) and acquire the much touted "Canadian Experience". For more details check out the website www.careerbridge.ca

(You have to have already landed to qualify!)

Would appreciate if you could share any subsequent opinions/thoughts about this program.

good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that it is next to impossible to get a professional job in Canada for lack of "Canadian experience". I work for an Indian company, however, a major portion of my work has beein in the United States. Is this experience good enough, or do I still need "Canadian" experience?

Originally posted by nkm-oct23
You will most likely still need "Canadian" experience. Note that is says "Canadian", not "North American"! It is one of the paradoxes of immigration, Canadian immigration is easier, more structured and logical but gettign jobs is very difficult. US immigration is long, painful and lacks logic but employers do not discriminate between US and non-US experience.

What nkm said.
The problem with the Canadian job market is its size.
It is very small and concentrated in certain areas.
I am talking about white collar jobs here.
Sure, the blue collar jobs are plenty.
But, is that what you had in mind when you thought of emmigrating to Canada?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any success stories/suggesstion for working as independent consultant in Canada for a permanent resident without joining any consulting firm OR 2-3 consultant joinging togather and making a firm of their own???
Thanks
Cool Guru