Canadian taxes

Dimple2001,

The points you made out above are really good and I appreciate that very much.

That brings you another question, can you please advise.

I am a PR in Canada, landed in March 2000 (Windsor). Since then I am living in US (visited Canada several times in between). I had the required residential ties to Canada and I have been filing (paying) Canadian taxes as well along with US taxes, and I had the CA tax assessments with me. I am planning to MOVE to Canada by the end of this year.
Can I apply for the Citizenship sometime by the end of the year (Since by March 2003, I had completed the 3 year residency requirements).

Any thoughts/responses from anyone are appreciated!

PalCan,

You do seem to have one of the major proof which is the taxes. By filing taxes, you have indicated "residency" in Canada even though you weren't.

I guess, you may also want to think about collecting other proofs of your residency in Canada for the past years. Some of the items may be:

Vehicle registration
Home ownership or apartment leases
Utility bills
Credit/Debit card transactions, etc.

I am not sure if CIC does look into all those evidences. I have got a couple of more years to think about citizenship. Forum members who have gotten their citizenship should be able to provide more valuable input here.

Hi Dimple2001,

Thank you for your kind response.

I don't have any vehicle registration in Canada. But I had the following,
1) Had a tiny aptment leased on my name (no body lives there)from past 3 years at Windsor.
2) Had a phone in there and bills from 3 years.
3) Had Health Card, Canadian DL, credit card, debit card from RBC (not many transactions).

If at all CIC is going to check these evidences, would you think
these suffice the CIC requirements? Thanks again!

Can anyone let me know what tax form should I submit for Canadian taxes. I am a Canadian PR but hv no residential ties with canada and have zero income.

Sam99,

You need pay no taxes if you have any questions Refer Below Details

Visually impaired persons can order publications in braille or large print, or on audio cassette or computer diskette, by calling 1-800-267-1267 weekdays from 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). If you are outside Canada and the United States, call the International Tax Services Office collect at (613) 952-3741.

Just pay $1 for your call( including waiting time) & clear your mind with all questions

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/5013-g/5013g-e.html

I'd like to invite discussion on ScarletHawk's question - "Can you legally keep both US and Canadian Drivers License?"

Since US and Canada recognize the licenses of each other, you can get a Cdn license without going thro all the procedures by just exchanging your US license. Therefore, you cannot obviously keep both the licenses.

However, if for some reason, someone decides to go through the entire licensing procedure and get a license in Canada, then the need for disclosing the US license does not arise at all. So, in this case, you may end up having both US and Canadian licenses !

So what is legal?:p

Dimple2001,

I agree with your views, You cannot have both US/Can DL’s. However as most of the people working in US do want to get CA DL, but as per my knowledge do not want to surrender the US DL. Then what choice do they have?

So if one can go through the entire licensing procedure in Canada, and as long as you don’t disclose the US DL, I don’t see a question arise at all. FYI… On the first day I got the CA DL (I only had paper approval on that day), I was stopped for speeding on the way to Niagara, My DL was checked/verified and let go with a warning :cool:

Please update if someone had a different view/opinion! Thanks.

Taxes

I will like to give people advice on filling the taxes;

1. Only canadian citizens have to fill taxes where ever they are in the world.
2. Tax year is from 1jan to 31 Dac. SO if u became citizen on 30 Dec u will have to pay the taxes.

Hope this helps

I don't think any Province would accept a document of US driving record to issue a full Canadian DL. One should surrender the US DL to obtain a full CA DL.

You can go through the entire licensing procedure in CA to get the full CA DL without surrendering the US DL. I am not 100% sure if that's illegal, but I don't see a problem unless you disclose it. Please correct me if there's a different version!

Let me share my DL story...

I had a DL from NC, which I lost and acquired a duplicate (with the date on which the duplicate was issued). I planned to surrender the duplicate in order to get a Canadian DL but since I knew that they will need a proof of having US DL for 2 years, I requested a DMV report from NC which shows all the DLs issued.

When I went to Canada, I provided the duplicate license and the DMV report and was issued a DL in < 5 minutes.

Once I came back to US (I was transferred to California in between), I acquired a brand new California DL.

Now I have both, but I offcourse never tried to use Canadian DL in the US. Didn't know that its illegal to keep both of the licenses. Does anyone know an official website to confirm this?

logicators