Canadian PR working in US on H1 and wanting to go to Canada for few days...

canadausa

Hello

Can someone advice, if a Canadian PR is working in US on H1 and wants to go back to Canada for a few days, how should he go back:

1) by road/air - which one is better
2) in a American/Canadian car?
3) what should be say at the Canadian border post

Thanks!

No Title

The best bet would be to go by car.It would be better for you to get a return permit of Canada so that you can still work in US.
There is a new bill pending in Canadian Parliament which would allow
landing immigrants to maintain their residents just by staying 2 years out of 5 years. this will replace the new system by which a landing immigrant has to stay in canada 183 days in a year.

No Title

Does it matter whether it is a Canadian or US registered car?

Isn\'t it correct that the officer at the Canadian border doesn\'t know if the person has been out for 183 days or has been going back and forth between Canada and US by car?

As for getting the RRP, couln\'t that jeopardize a citizenship application that one filed after living in Canada for 3 years!

Thanks

No Title

It does not really matter if the Car is registered in US or Canada.
The fact is when an immigration officer stops at POE, travellers are supposed to tell the truth. Giving false statements to immigration officers is a crime specially in Canada.
if you apply for RRP, those days do not count for citizenship.

No Title

Does it make a difference if the Canadian Citizenship has already been applied?

Does getitnig a Return Resident Permit jopardize the chances of getting the citizenship in any way?

Thanks.

No Title

What I meant was that if the Citizenship has *already* been applied after living in Canada sucessfully for 3 years, then if one is out of the country and gets an RRP, will that affect the citizenship application?

No Title

Now I understood your question clearly
If you have stayed in Canada for 3 continuous years (1095 days), then you are eligible for applying Canadian citizenship.Lets suppose you have done that and applied for citizenship and then you go for extended period outside of Canada and get your RRP, your citizenship application won\'t be affected probably.I know few people who just after applying citizenship took job in USA with H1B and they have got their citizenship.