Canadian on H1B extension. Want to quit job. Options

Canada2USA

Registered Users (C)
I'm a Canadian who has been on 3 TN's earlier this decade. I now have a PERM filed and approved with no I-140 filed yet. My company has been dragging its heels on all of this. My job isn't going well (economy really not helping) and I'm looking to make a career change. I just had a one year H1B renewal and am valid through May 2010.

I talked to an attorney a while ago and given that my six years in on H1B ends in May, she noted that transferring it to another company and having them start the green card process for me isn't really an option. I was thinking of either leaving the country, taking a few months off and coming back under a TN visa or finding another job while I'm employed and then leaving and re-entering on a TN visa. My plan would be to find a job that fits the EB2 category, so my employer can apply for a green card for me while I'm employed as I'm in the EB3 category now.

Are there any problems with this plan? I previously worked under the computer systems analyst role and plan to do so again. Do I have to do anything special to cancel my H1B if I quit or get another job? Is there a way I could stay in the US for more than the 30 days after I have quit and not violate any rules? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.