Canadian I-485 - Priority Date - Confused

akthmps

Registered Users (C)
So, my story... My PERM was approved in 2006 (I don't remember the date). Then, my company submitted my I-140 application on November 27th of last year, and it was approved today.

So, my company said they wanted to get underway ASAP with my I-485 application. However, the company lawyer told them the following today:

My priority date is September 29, 2006. According to the bulletin, I-485 applications are being accepted for priority dates of June 1, 2005, or earlier.

So, does that mean I have to wait over a year before I can even submit my I-485?

I don't even know what a priority date is.

I am really discouraged, I had hoped we could file the I-485 within the next month or two. Is there anyway around this??

-Aaron

Yep, your Priority Date (PD) is the day you filed the PERM application for EB3 labor petition....It looks like, that's Sep 29, 06 for you....and that's your PD...and since the Visa Bulletin (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3236.html) - right now shows EB3 (Rest of the World)...cutoff date as 01 JUN 05....

So, only those folks who have PD before 01 JUN 05 are eligible to file for I485...There is no guarantee that the cutoff date in the Visa Bulletin will move by 1 year in 1 year's time.....It may take just 1 month to jump 1 year (01 JUN 06)...or it may take 3 years to cross to 01 JUN 06

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way around in EB2 petition (Masters or higer degree)...If you see the bulletin, EB2 is current for ROW....that means anybody in EB2 (ROW) can apply 485 rightaway!