Canadian Company H1-B

kajalr

Nortel Networks - Canadian Company.

I have been working for Nortel Networks for 3 years now. My company has been sending me to U.S frequently since our wireless division is in Santa Clara, California.

I am going to apply for my citizenship.

These are my questions.

a)the pay i got in U.S that i paid taxes on.
do i need to pay taxes in for the same pay in canada too .. I am finding a cpa to disscuss this.

b) I have lived in Canada for more than 3 years now. But have visited U.S in the mean time for work related business. Will this time be counted towards my immigration since it is a canadian company. I am not very clear about this. There are lots of people in nortel who say it does count but I want a solid answer.

Does anyone have any idea ?

You should be OK

Hi,

I was in the same situation myself, and trips to the US for my Canadian employer. So these are the options that I see for you: you can apply for citizenship and then have to explain all the little absences (or try without explanation, don't even bring it up), or wait until you have the 1095 days and then apply.

As far as taxes, talk to a CPA - this is important if you don't want to get really screwed on taxes. I am happy to have done this as I've been living and working in the US for the last year.

Good luck,
monster28

What did u do monster28?

Did u wait for 1095 days of physical presence accrual OR did u apply before that with explanations to ur US/overseas visits?

Thanks.

I waited...

Hi,

I actually waited until the entire balance of the 1095 days was in, it was actually a couple of months over the required number. Only after that did I proceed with my transfer to the US.

monster28

Kajal,

A friend of mine is in the exact situation as you. She used to collect a letter from her company every time she made a trip to the US......she included those days in Canada and filed for her citizenship and attached all those letters as evidence that she was working for a canadian company and that she was in the US work related. She's waiting to see what happens with the application.

Another friend of mine was detained in india due to medical reasons, she filed for her citizenship though she was missing 3 months, but she attached a doctors' letter and she got her passport w/o any problem. CIC let her include those 3 months.

I am beginning to believe the workings of CIC are case related, based on each immigration officer's personal interpretation on the system! Also, i think it depends on how many days you are missing. A month here and there is usually ok. (just IMO)

Calculation of days for citizenship

I have been a resident of canada for 3 years now.........Am employed by a Canadian firm on full time basis as a Sales Manager....................The job involves travel to U.S. frequently........Wanted to know if the trips would get deducted if i file for Citizenship......Am very confused............Kindly thro some light on this issue.............If anybody has experiences or knowledge in this regard kindly share the same....Thanks...