Canadian Citizen living in Canada, married to US Citizen living in USA - Question on Forms to fill

bebyrd

Hello,

We really appreciate this forum and are grateful for being able to receive answers to our questions.

We were recently married and are beginning the steps for wife (Canadian citizen living in Canada) to migrate to husband (USA citizen living in USA)

It seems that migrating to the US is quite complex and we want to ensure that we are filling out the correct forms.

In reading through the posts and videos (thank you for that!) we see that there are two forms that we need to fill.

1) Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

2) Form I-485 for Consular Processing (CP)

Is this correct for a Canadian migrating to the USA? Do we need to fill out both forms in our circumstance?

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,
Brice & Elisheva

I-485 is the application for Adjustment of Status, which is the process of getting a green card from within the US. Since the wife is not in the US, she will do Consular Processing, which is the process of getting a green card from outside the US. Consular Processing will not involve I-485 at any stage. For Consular Processing, only I-130 is filed first, and after the I-130 is approved, NVC and the consulate will contact them for the next steps.