Canada Visit And Departure Record I-94

GCAspirant0104

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys :

Is there anyone who visited Canada before Sept 11 or sometime in year 200?
If so, while entering back USA, did you get I-94 departure record stamped on your PP?

The reason for this question is -

I visited Canada (Niagra Fall) in year 2000 on a canadian visitor visa.
When I entered Canada, the immigration officer stamped my passport.
But, when I left Canada and entered back US, I did not get any
stamp on passport or no departure record on my passport regarding my entry in USA.
That was my last entry in USA and I was holding
H1-B at that time.

Now, my concern is -

If I need to show Arrival/Departure record for a passport stamping after I-485 approval, I wouldn't have I-94/Departure record showing my last entry in USA from Canada.

Any ideas, how to handle this situation?
Any potential problem?
Anyone with a similar situation?

Will appreciate your response, thanks!

I travel every few weeks to Canada. Unlike landing in a U.S. airport from overseas, when returning from Canada they just write on your AP that you were reparoled and you keep your I-94 card. For H1-B, they just check it and you are on your way. No new I-94 card.

SydneyRacquelle

Please shed more light on these questions. I would very much appreciate that:

1. Should I surrender my I-94 with the airline, when I leave FOR Canada?
  2. If I had to surrender my I-94 while leaving FOR Canada, will I be given a new I-94 when LEAVING Canada to the US?
  3. If one of the two copies of AP is taken by the officer in Canada, would they demand for it again in Canada, when we travel subsequently? Or will they jot down a note on the other copy of AP that one copy was already taken?
    [/list=1]

I don't know much about Canada's procedures since I'm a CDN citizen and I just show my CDN passport to go to Canada, but in about 50 visits to Canada each year, the very first visit with AP, they stamp one copy and give me I-94 card.

Then every other visit, they just let me keep my I-94 card (the same one), but they write in pen on my AP form "reparolled March 3/04". That's it, NO secondary inspection after the first use of AP. They never had any use for copy number 2, they just let me keep it. I think it's for an airline to let you on the plane or something.

When I travel to Europe/Mexico and come back to Miami airport, I always have to go to secondary where they give me a new I-94 card, so it's different procedures in Canada and in a U.S. port of entry airport.

GCAspirant0104,

Were you driving or flying to Canada?

Before Sep 11, if you were driving to Canada, then there was no need to surrender your I-94 or get a new I-94 while reentering. They used to just see your visa validity and let you in.

Did you surrender your old I-94 while entering Canada?

We visited Canada(Niagra falls) on visit visa while I was on H1. We were driving, but went for a particular reason. My wife had an H1 on which she never worked and after 3 months we decided to revert back to her H4, by travelling to Canada and getting a new I-94 based on H4 (her H4 visa on passport had validity beyond this travel and her H1 was NOT stamped in passport). So we surrendered our I-94 purposely and got a new I-94 while reentering.

But, many of the other visitors just left and reenterd US without surrendering or getting a new I-94. So this shouldn't be a problem.

Should I surrender my I-94 with the airline, when I leave FOR Canada?
Usually they do not take I-94. While coming back If your stay was over 30 days they may issue new I-94.

If I had to surrender my I-94 while leaving FOR Canada, will I be given a new I-94 when LEAVING Canada to the US?
No you will not surrender I-94 while you are going to Canada. If you stay more then 30 days you can request for new I-94.

If one of the two copies of AP is taken by the officer in Canada, would they demand for it again in Canada, when we travel subsequently? Or will they jot down a note on the other copy of AP that one copy was already taken

I have never used AP. But as i read on the officer at POE will give you stamped copy of AP which can be used for subsequent travels.

my experience

Flying
Since applying for AOS, I have always turned in my I-94 and US immigration always issues a new one when I return.
Driving
I have tried to turn in my I-94 when entering Canada, but Canadian officials just give it back to me. When returning to the US with AP, US immigration allows me to re-enter with AP and the old I-94. They also do not stamp my passport or I-94 or AP. Therefore, I have no record of proper entry. This happened again last year.

I am a Canadian citizen, but that should not make any difference.
I am awaiting an RFE on my 485, I hope it is not for proof of legal entry.

w8nc
RD 08/18/01
RFE 02/18/04