Can you suggest Me? PIO/OCI and Travel to India?

silicon

Registered Users (C)
I just got US Citizenship, including family members. I would like to apply for OCI or PIO. I understand OCI takes long time and PIO or Visa is fast. I am in San Francisco Region.I am exploring the possibilities to apply for PIO or Tourist Visa while OCI application is in process.

I need to be in India by July 20th, along with my son for his college Studies. He has to stay for 5 years then for which I need to take some permission from Education Ministry/Govt.of India that I can get it.

Here is the question. By all means, if he gets adminssion to Indian University, he will be at India by that time OCI is approved(if I apply right now). Can I produce his US passport In India or is he forced to be at San Fransciso (with his US passport - age 17) when th OCI is approved as he will be in India by tourist visa or with PIO card.

In addition, can I apply for Visa or PIO card. Visa is easy to get, faster but may be limited to 6 months (or 10 years we do not know). PIO take a month time, and also given by US consulate at SFO, where as OCI is approved and comes from India.

Guide me please.

Thanks,

Silicon

1.You need to find out if having a PIO/OCI will influence your son's admission.I think it does.
2.If you apply for an OCI you cannot apply for a PIO.
3.Since your son is 17 I would personally suggest your son should apply for a PIO card for now and then OCI after 10 years or so.Alternately come to India on a 6 month visa and apply for OCI in India.You and the other above 18's in your family should directly apply for an OCI.
4.If you apply for an OCI in SF you can collect it only at SF.I havent heard of any exceptions yet.

Good luck ! ! !

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an inquiry with SF CGI, whether my child can study in India on visa instead of PIO or OCI.

They replied, that my child must have PIO.

Why cannot one get student visa for studies?

By the way how are you getting in touch with the consulate? It is very rare that they answer the phone or reply to email. Are you going there perosnally?