Can we file for Consular Processing Now...

rsingh01

Registered Users (C)
Hi..

My 140 was approved for CP , but somehow I went for I 485. Now I saw people with Jan-2003 140 approval are getting GC in May, So wonder if that route is better...

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Rsingh01
WAC-02-062----

I don't you can change the route after you filing for 485. That's what my lawyer told me before making decision for going to 485/cp.

Originally posted by jeremy_polka
If I have filed 485 application, can I switch to CP route in the middle of processing?

You will have to file I-824. to do that. Most lawyers do not recommend that.

And I can clearly see why lawyers do not recommend switching from AOS to CP. For starters, it adds a few months (might be 6, perhaps more) to the waiting time because the file has to be physically moved from a service center to a consulate abroad. Secondly, this physical movement is what scares me the most, because the file may be lost so easily in the process. And last, but not least, you effectively become ineligible for AOS benefits such as AP and EAD.

Is it worth it? Definitely YES! But not at the point when you have already waited for a year for your AOS to come through. Especially, if you have voided your H-1B already by working on EAD.

And remember, there is no AC21 for CP.