Can TN visa worker apply for green card through employer

A

adil qazi

Hi all,

Just wondering if I am working on TN visa can I apply for Green Card through my employer or do I need to get H1-B visa first? hope to hear from someone soon...

No Title

Absolutely, you\'ll just have to keep renewing your TN while waiting for the entire process.

No Title

I am a Canadian Citizen working on a TN visa. My employer has applied for H1B visa that is being processed but not approved yet. Is it possible to take a new job on TN visa again before H1B get approved. I do not care about the alder H1B visa. Please help.

No Title

I would not recommend applying for GC while on TN-Visa. TN-Visa is strictly for short-term work and by applying for GC you are indicating your intent to stay. You could run into several problems. 1) Lose you visa when exiting and reentering the country if Immigration sees that you are applying for GC. 2) They may deny application, since on some of the forms you have to state your current visa status. Everyone I have known from Canada, including myself had to switch to an H1 before applying for the GC.

No Title

I\'m a citizen of Canada. I\'ve Masters and Ph.D. Degrees from the US. I intend to work in USA and eventually get a Green Card. What kind of VISA is receommended for me H1 or TN?

No Title

You need to be on an H1B to apply for your GC. On the other hand its much easier and cheaper to get a TN, no delay or visa cap, than it is to get an H1B and $50 vs $1500 for the H1B. A lot of Canadians stay on TN visa until they decide to go for the GC and then switch over to H1B. There are other issues to consider such as the fact that TN\'s are meant for temporary work only and if you keep going back and renewing your TN there is the slight chance that you could get denied if the officer wants to be an A#%hole. I\'ve only heard of this very rarely though. You need to decide which is the best one for you.