Can one go to Oath before appointment

Vishnu Mahadev

Registered Users (C)
We know that we can go to FP before appointment date and time.

Can we do the same for Oath ceremony, i.e. go to Oath before appointment.

San Francisco Oath ceremony happens every 2nd and 4th Tuesday.

This question prompts from the fact that I may be out of country on business trip when my Oath appointment may get scheduled.

Alternatively : How easy it is to reschedule Oath appointment?

Thanks in advance.
Vishnu

N-400 Tracking at San Francisco

N-400 Sent in: 01/31/2007 (by Priority Mail with tracking )
Received date: 02/02/2007
Priority Date: 02/02/2007
Checks encashed: 02/07/2007
Notice date: 02/09/2007
Notice received: 02/16/2007
FP Notice date: 02/12/2007
FP Notice recd: 02/16/2007
FP Appointment: 02/28/2007
FP Done: 02/28/2007
Status disappeared: 3/d/2007
Interview letter Generated: 3/7/2007
Iinterview Letter Received: 3/10/2007
Interview sceduled::cool: 4/18/2007

( I would like to do these next steps after my quick business trip 05/15 to 05/24)

Oath Date: 5/a/2007
USA Passport applied: 5/a/2007
SS informed: 5/a/2007
Voter's registration: 5/a/2007
USA Passport received: z/f/2007

Last edited by a moderator:
My honest advice (and seeing the pain a lot of people are going thru on this board)........ DON'T! As in don't reschedule anything. Just go by what they schedule. It seems like any time you change something with CIS, the whole timeline gets messed up

Thanks Mario123 for the quick response.

Can we go to Oath on the first available date after passing the interview?
Do they send appointment letter or they indicate it while giving N-652

If I am already booked for foreign trip which can not be rescheduled, I have no alternative but to seek reschedule. That is why I want to go their at first opportunity.

Thanks Mario123 for the quick response.

Can we go to Oath on the first available date after passing the interview?
Do they send appointment letter or they indicate it while giving N-652

If I am already booked for foreign trip which can not be rescheduled, I have no alternative but to seek reschedule. That is why I want to go their at first opportunity.

Depends strictly on your DO, not even the SC. For instance, under the TSC, Dallas DO schedules interviews either the same day or a couple of weeks out, but in San Antonio DO, it's always 2-3 months out (bummer). Check out my timeline on http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1620926#post1620926

As far as when your oath will be held, well, that again depends on your DO, but in all cases your N-652 will give you the results and tell you if you have been "recommended for approval" and then you get an N-445 notice of oath.

Vishnu, you can't just show up to any oath ceremony you want, guess what would happen if they allowed it! They will mail you a letter which you have to take to the venue. My IO said the oath will be in the next 3 months but I got the letter a week later.
Look for the trend for SF DO and you may be able to predict your oath date. It is not a big deal to postpone the oath. You just mail them a letter and they will desched the oath and then mail you the new oath date in about a month.

You go to the oath ceremony when the letter tells you to do so. You will NOT be admitted until that exact same date that you are invited to. You can apply to delay your ceremony, however, till a later date which might be best in your case if you cannot make your schedualed ceremony at all...

Vishnu, you can't just show up to any oath ceremony you want, guess what would happen if they allowed it! They will mail you a letter which you have to take to the venue. My IO said the oath will be in the next 3 months but I got the letter a week later.
Look for the trend for SF DO and you may be able to predict your oath date. It is not a big deal to postpone the oath. You just mail them a letter and they will desched the oath and then mail you the new oath date in about a month.

God! You guys in SF are sooooooooo lucky - seems like ALL oaths are either the same day or 2-3 weeks out. I don't know why TSC/San Antonio can't schedule oaths the same day ...... We (in Austin) have to wait 2-3 months for oaths and usually they are in SA (or in Austin 1-2 times a yr). Bummer!!

In particular, they prepare you naturalization certificate before your oath. Even if you showed up, you couldn't get a natz cert.