Can I withdraw name change during oath ceremony?

gohaha

Registered Users (C)
I am scheduled for the oath ceremony on April 11. I opt to change my name on N-400, however considering all the headaches after the name change, I may want to withdraw my name change. Any one know if I can withdraw name change during oath ceremony? If not, then how to withdraw?

gohaha said:
I am scheduled for the oath ceremony on April 11. I opt to change my name on N-400, however considering all the headaches after the name change, I may want to withdraw my name change. Any one know if I can withdraw name change during oath ceremony? If not, then how to withdraw?

i am not sure if you can withdraw the name change or not. may be you should write to your interview officer, or visit your DO using infopass?

by the time in the oath ceremony, unless it is their mistake to misprint your name or whatsoever, it is too late to withdraw your name change.

gohaha said:

It is too late to withdraw your name change during oath ceremony. You will get your naturalization certificate in your new name along with a name change court document. You can try the infopass appointment, but I am not sure if they will entertain your request at this time (as you agreed to change your name during the N400 process). Good luck.

so basically its too late for me to withdraw now according to above answers :(
I may try to make an infopass appointment, but I really have no confidence on the clerks who I can meet for the infopass appointment.

gohaha said:
so basically its too late for me to withdraw now according to above answers :(
I may try to make an infopass appointment, but I really have no confidence on the clerks who I can meet for the infopass appointment.

Yup; It may be too late, because they might have filed your name change in the local court. Unless of course they have not yet done so. But mind you your whole file may have already been archieved.

Wow I thought people who write here constantly would know better. :)
You can absolutely withdraw. I did it myself. I simply changed my mind and told the officer during the interview as she was going thru the application. She just scratched it off and noted that no name change was requested.
Your naturalization certiicate is not printed until you pass the interview anyway.

Well I wanna do the total opposite, I wanna adjust the spelling of my name, and add my nick name as my 1st name,

I already had the interview....and my oath ceremony is aptil 19th, So I wonder if I can write a letter to my local office director, or request the adjustment at the oath ceremony?

july2006 said:
You can absolutely withdraw. I did it myself. I simply changed my mind and told the officer during the interview as she was going thru the application. She just scratched it off and noted that no name change was requested.
Your naturalization certiicate is not printed until you pass the interview anyway.

july2006 said:

i thought u would know better... the OP PASSED the interview and he/she is scheduled an oath ceremony?

geez!

july2006 said:

The title of the thread is:

Can I withdraw name change during oath ceremony?
gohaha

I am the OP, and I made an InfoPass appointment yesterday.
Ok, here's the result:
It's impossible to change anything at the day of oath because everything is printed. It's also impossible to withdraw at this moment for me (only apply to my case, there's slight chance for other people if his file is not locked). All my files are locked in the computer because it's too close to the oath ceremony. The nice clerk tried to help me and located the original officer who interviewed me, but he couldn't open my files in the computer any more. The only soulution is after I get my certificate, I can go to the local probate court to change name again.

gohaha said:
Ok, here's the result:
It's impossible to change anything at the day of oath because everything is printed. It's also impossible to withdraw at this moment for me (only apply to my case, there's slight chance for other people if his file is not locked). All my files are locked in the computer because it's too close to the oath ceremony. The nice clerk tried to help me and located the original officer who interviewed me, but he couldn't open my files in the computer any more. The only soulution is after I get my certificate, I can go to the local probate court to change name again.

you do not like your new name or you do not want to go thru all steps to update various places which hold your ID?

ocworker said:
you do not like your new name or you do not want to go thru all steps to update various places which hold your ID?

well, I am afraid of the headache of updating all my records after I change my name. another problems is all my diplomas, school transcripts, publications won't be associated with my new name.

What I am thinking now is after the oath ceremony, I go to probate court, and exchange the position of my first name and middle name (on N-400 I add a new first name, keep my original first name as middle name) so the old records still match my new name (basically I only add a middle name)

gohaha said:
well, I am afraid of the headache of updating all my records after I change my name. another problems is all my diplomas, school transcripts, publications won't be associated with my new name.

What I am thinking now is after the oath ceremony, I go to probate court, and exchange the position of my first name and middle name (on N-400 I add a new first name, keep my original first name as middle name) so the old records still match my new name (basically I only add a middle name)

i do not think you need to update your diplomas / school transripts / publications. it is because you will receive a court paper to show your old name, and new name along with the new name on the naturalization cert.

if you add a middle name, isn't it a "new name" per se? if your original name is John Doe, and you add a middle name, as Pete, so your new name is John Pete Doe.

John Doe (and no where in your identification contains word of "Pete") is different than John Pete Doe.

you try to avoid to update all your records by just adding a new middle name. However, it is your new name and you need to update to all your records too.

just my 2 cents.

well, I understand I still have to update my social security and driver's license even if I only add a middle name, but there's no confusion regarding my identity (my original first name is a rare name) because most time only the first name and last name are used to identify a person. for example, probably no one will question my diploma if there's no "W" in-between.

I should have thought about all these headaches before I add a new name to N-400 form :mad: .
Free is not always good :D

Ok, here's the result:
I'm just wondering..did they let you withdraw your name change in your ceremony? I'm on a same boat.