Can I travel on H1-B while AOS is pending

ravichennai

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I applied for I485 through marriage to my wife who is a US citizen. I am here in US on a valid H1-B visa. Do I need a Advance Parole to travel or is my H1-B good enough. Thanks for any answers.

You need AP to travel.

edit: Apparantly, I am wrong. look below...

Last edited by a moderator:
If u are maintaining H1 status ( without using EAD ), u NEED NOT have a AP.
But if u have used EAD, then ur H status is invalidated and u NEED AP.

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/advisories/advisory.htm
See the note in the link above for the question ''Who needs Advance Parole?''

Aliens holding valid H-1 (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) or L-1 (intra-company transferee) visas and their dependants who have filed for adjustment of status do not have to file for Advance Parole as long as they maintain their non-immigrant status

You do not need AP to travel as long as you have an H-1B that is valid but be ABSOLUTELY ( and I mean bet your GC on it) sure that your H-1 will not be revoked and you will not be terminated from your job while you are overseas. If you are terminated or laid off while you are out of the US you could be in big trouble.

you know i think there should be a section for only H-1B here in this website because im tired of you guys every where all over this website. and i understand if someone on H-1b vise its got to be indian god you indians i hope the moderator will understand what im talking about . there should be a section for H-1b only then it can be divided into you know whatever like:

H-1B
1-thru Marriage 2-throu work 3-eltc.......

every where i go in this forum there will always be someone with h-1b having a qustion im tired of it
thank you

With all of 4 posts you're getting annoyed.

If the moderators can understand your sentence structure they are better than I am.

The orriginal post asked about travelling when the person had filed a marriage based application for adjustment of status. The H-1 was an ancillary issue that needed to be addressed in the answer.