Can I PORT/Carry my PRIORITY DATE to a New Employer when I change to NEW FIELD/Career

prasad393

Hello,

I have a question regarding porting my existing priority date from my Current employer. I am a Masters degree holder in chemical engineer and I been working in the same field for past 5 years. I have an approved I-140 with my current skill set.
Now I am considering to change my work FIELD/Career into IT Industry from Chemical field (Only because my current employer is laying off people and Hard to find a Visa sponsor on my Core Field). I have upgraded my skill set accordingly by earning IT certifications.
My question is when I switch to IT-Field after securing a Job and transferring my H1b to a new employers.
Can I use my existing I-140 from a chemical field to port my PRIORITY date?? (I am aware of the fact that a new LCA has to be filed for my new job to transfer my existing I-140) All I want to know is do I need to restart the ENTIRE PERM process which gives me a NEW Priority Date or can I PORT OLD Priority date??
I received Mixed opinions on this. I would like to hear from folks on this page!!

Thanks